Nissan Pathfinder Brake problem

-
If it's the abs module, pull the power fuse to it and see how they work. Does the pedal require 2 pumps when it's not running? Air is air. The pedal will go to floor whether it's running or not. I've been doing this for 40+ years, I built a drag duster from scratch when I was 16. If you knew how many cars I've fixed that have been to the dealer and other shops, you wouldn't believe me. And it's always something weird. Ive never had an ABS module cause this problem, but like I said, weird things happen every day.
I'm curious what is going to fix this issue!

You stated drum rears?I would guess they are properly adjusted?I've had a few similar issues with Asian cars and trucks that customers have thrown money at, and than asked for help.The low first than high hard second pump leads to a volume (not pressure) issue.The fact that you keep checking the level and its not changing eliminates leakage.Recently I had a mitsu come in with the exact issue. First, do you have any steering wheel pulsation when braking?warped rotors "widen the space required between the pads requiring more fluid to push the pistons in on first application.Second issue in the north east (thanks salted roads and ocean breeze here) is corrosion especially with Asian vehicles. I've had front pistons that wont "self adjust due to the inability to slide out through the seals, so the when the brakes are applied the seal rolls in its bore and when released acts like a spring and pull the piston back in to far ,again creating to large a gap between the pads and rotor and again requiring more fluid (pedal travel) on first push. I hope this helps.

Have the shop show you how to unplug the ABS. That way you can do it yourself. If you get pulled over and checked you could always find the problem right there on the spot and just tell the inspector that you were fooling around with something around the plug and you must have unplugged it by mistake.
To me though it sounds like something as small as your rear brakes being way out of adjustment.

If ABS is, indeed, the problem, Add a switch in the ABS electrical line. Switch it off and drive your car. If you get stopped for inspection, switch it back on.

It is possible for the ABS to do this if it is having a problem with a dump solenoid I would think. I have seen crazier things.

I'm sorry if I stepped on your toes. It wasn't intended. I wasn't trying to say the shop your car is at is incompetent. I reread my post and I'll admit it was quite easy to interpret it that way.

Wheel cylinders = 20-30 bucks for 2 and less than 100 bucks installed. ABS module = 250-500 used (if you can find one) or 1000-2000 new and probably over 200 bucks installation... just sayin

also, is the module on the side of the ABS unit? you can remove the electrical part and send out for repair. About 100

-
Back