No back up lights

-

Roadart

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Bulbs were good so I went forward to trans. (72 dart with 904) using a test light I got strong light on one outside plug,weak light on middle plug,no light on other end plug. Does this indicate bad sending unit in trans? Trans has a manual shift body installed ,could this cause the problem? Not being a transmission guru any ideas will be of help.

Yep, my TCI full manual valve body had the internal arm for the neutral safety sw only. The shifter place sold me another internal arm to make it work. I ended up putting a separate toggle sw on the shifter case to operate the backup lights. i found the harness plus at the firewall and wired in there from the toggle sw.

Thanks for the reply. Was hoping it was simple. Will take care of it . Thanks Joe

On the trans switch. One side is hot with the key on. The middle is for neutral/park safety. The other side is hot when the key is on AND the car shifter is in reverse.

Rooster comb is the part referred to in post #2. That name due to the shape of it.
I don't know why a aftermarket valve body wouldn't reuse the OEM rooster comb.
With ign' switch on, trans shifted to reverse, and NSS connector removed... a cotter pin or similar jumper from one outer pin hole to other should get lights on proving wiring, etc..
Ohms meter on those 2 pins of the switch should show closed circuit / zero resistance.
There have been several threads about aftermarket replacement switches. Screw in too deep or not deep enough ( maybe both, I forget ). Good luck with it.

Thank you red fish. this will help. Seldom need backup lights BUT every so often ,yes.

-
Back