No disrespect to anyone...

-

inkjunkie

Reaction score
...that thinks a 3G Hemi is a world beater. Just like the LS its power is limited to its size. Want big power you must add forced induction. Not to mention the 3G Hemi has no mystique around it...hell is there anything it is NOT offered in? I finally got to meet the guy with the insanely fast Duster with a REAL HEMI in it. Someone mentioned somewhere in the area of 15:1 compression. Thing sounds like a high winding small block doing the burn out....
Dee Adams Saturday-36.JPG
Dee Adams Saturday-37.JPG
Dee Adams Saturday-38.JPG

Was that on your trip to Renegade? If that dude is running I’d go watch that.

Edit: I agree that the Gen III and LS platforms are N/A boring. They just don’t do anything for me. Plus, they are so damned ugly they put covers on them.

Last edited:
all that money spend on the engine and the guy couldnt find a decent bumper for it?

looks like a flipper

2G Hemis are on their own level of cool but not everyone has $50k to spend on an engine. At least we have a V8 made by Mopar that's a legitimate competitor/alternative to the LS, that's the way I see it. I don't think the 3G Hemi is "special" in any way like the 2G but I think it's a great engine in its own right.

I was able to grab a warranty'd 5.7L out of a 2014 Ram for $600 with the typical bad cam/lifter (yes you hear about it a lot but it's still less than 5% of all that were built), 134k miles and the cylinders are pristine. I'll put in a cam, intake and headers and it'll be really close to 500 HP. I love my old-school engines but they don't respond to mods like that, 310 cfm from stock '09-up 5.7L heads.

I am getting tired of them in new vehicles, the platform's been around for 18 years now it's about time they come out with something new.

2G Hemis are on their own level of cool but not everyone has $50k to spend on an engine. At least we have a V8 made by Mopar that's a legitimate competitor/alternative to the LS, that's the way I see it. I don't think the 3G Hemi is "special" in any way like the 2G but I think it's a great engine in its own right.

I was able to grab a warranty'd 5.7L out of a 2014 Ram for $600 with the typical bad cam/lifter (yes you hear about it a lot but it's still less than 5% of all that were built), 134k miles and the cylinders are pristine. I'll put in a cam, intake and headers and it'll be really close to 500 HP. I love my old-school engines but they don't respond to mods like that, 310 cfm from stock '09-up 5.7L heads.

I am getting tired of them in new vehicles, the platform's been around for 18 years now it's about time they come out with something new.

You can build a decent 408 with TF heads and it will easily run with and most likely blow the doors off of any LS or Gen III hemi N/A.

I have yet to see any N/A LS or Gen III Hemi that I thought was impressive. But I do need to get to the races more.

Well obviously the next thing is electric so careful what you wish for.

You can build a decent 408 with TF heads and it will easily run with and most likely blow the doors off of any LS or Gen III hemi N/A.

I have yet to see any N/A LS or Gen III Hemi that I thought was impressive. But I do need to get to the races more.

You're right, for now. The SBM has had a 30+ year jump on the G3 Hemi in regards to development from the aftermarket. Cam selection for VVT engines is extremely limited and while the factory rockers are good they aren't perfect and nobody AFAIK makes upgraded rockers for them. And for that reason solid-roller cams are also non-existent. The number of them swapped into older, lighter cars is very low and none of the vehicles they come in from the factory weigh less than 4200 lbs which doesn't help either. It's hard to say for sure but I think in the next 5 years or so they'll really pick up as a hot rod engine being swapped and raced more.

Well obviously the next thing is electric so careful what you wish for.

That's probably why, might as well hold out until they stick electric motors in everything. No sense coming up with a new V8 platform if it'll only be around for 5 years.

...that thinks a 3G Hemi is a world beater. Just like the LS its power is limited to its size. Want big power you must add forced induction. Not to mention the 3G Hemi has no mystique around it...hell is there anything it is NOT offered in? I finally got to meet the guy with the insanely fast Duster with a REAL HEMI in it. Someone mentioned somewhere in the area of 15:1 compression. Thing sounds like a high winding small block doing the burn out....
View attachment 1715746784 View attachment 1715746785 View attachment 1715746786
Beautiful!!!

I'm not sure if I'm aging into a different person than the young lass I was some time ago or what but I'm really appreciating hot rodding these days and I'm not even turning a nose up to LS swaps anymore.

I used to be an "all original" type car gal, but as the years rage on and I'm getting old.....I appreciate anything that runs on its own power and someone put some time, effort and coin into.

The world changed and so did I and I love to see a bad *** duster like a breath of fresh air, or that sweet smell of hydrocarbons spewing from an awesome sounding car.

You're right, for now. The SBM has had a 30+ year jump on the G3 Hemi in regards to development from the aftermarket. Cam selection for VVT engines is extremely limited and while the factory rockers are good they aren't perfect and nobody AFAIK makes upgraded rockers for them. And for that reason solid-roller cams are also non-existent. The number of them swapped into older, lighter cars is very low and none of the vehicles they come in from the factory weigh less than 4200 lbs which doesn't help either. It's hard to say for sure but I think in the next 5 years or so they'll really pick up as a hot rod engine being swapped and raced more.

That's probably why, might as well hold out until they stick electric motors in everything. No sense coming up with a new V8 platform if it'll only be around for 5 years.

Yeah, I figured someone, like a Ray Barton or someone would make a rocker arm. At least by now I figured they would. But so far...nada. And that sucks.

I fear the aftermarket will Crap on the Gen III like they did every other MoPar. There just isn’t the raw numbers of end users to justify a big budget to develop stuff like that. It’s sad, and it sucks. But I suspect that will be the reality of it.

Yeah, I figured someone, like a Ray Barton or someone would make a rocker arm. At least by now I figured they would. But so far...nada. And that sucks.

I fear the aftermarket will Crap on the Gen III like they did every other MoPar. There just isn’t the raw numbers of end users to justify a big budget to develop stuff like that. It’s sad, and it sucks. But I suspect that will be the reality of it.
Holley! They are releasing a ton of stuff and they have Geoff Turk working there who runs a drag pack challenger.

Put a TF headed 408 against an SRT Hemi in the same Duster chassis and see who wins. That would be a race I'd like to see. I'm sure its been done. Any videos or time slips? This hemi heads are hard to beat flow wise with LAs intake design restrictions.

In my opinion just like to see the old skool LA engine in a mopar versus a late model engine. The spirit of what the car is/was is lost with any late model engine. I'll stick to my 360 and ancient X heads!

Put a TF headed 408 against an SRT Hemi in the same Duster chassis and see who wins. That would be a race I'd like to see. I'm sure its been done. Any videos or time slips? This hemi heads are hard to beat flow wise with LAs intake design restrictions.

Do I get to put aftermarket heads on the SRT and do similar changes? otherwise you might as well be saying let me put that same 408 up against a stock G2... 485HP from a G3 in stock trim is nothing to laugh at.

Since you opened up this can of worms, there isnt a factory V8 mopar block ever made that can handle the power of any LS platform block, period. 6.4 is probably the strongest we've got. I've got a sweet LS on the stand for another car but am building a 470 stroker for the Dart. I wish I could bring myself to drop the LS in it. They're not cheap unless you buy some junkyard one and beat on it. Still a bunch of money to build an animal. The difference is the aftermarket and the strength designed into it from the factory. You'll split the Hemi long before you split a well-built, stock block LS.

I was refering to @yellow rose post about the TF 408 against an N/A Gen3. I saw an SRT8 drop the hammer against a popping at idle Chevelle with unknown motor and the SRT8 just walked away from it effortlessly without a chirp, while he was still grasping for traction. Maybe it was the 6-8 sp trans the SRT had keeping the powerband against the older tech 3 or 4 speed of the big block (?) Chevelle. LS power unlikely as it was rumbling and popping like an old school big cammed V8.

I'm not sure "one car" is a definitive argument for or against g2/3 hemis. Why do people always need to compare LS? I have an LS based GMC and it runs OK, but I'm not gonna swap a hemi into the GMC anymore than I'm gonna swap an LS into my ******* Dart

Dart will be releasing an aluminum block G3 that will take a 4.250 bore and a long arm. The first castings are just a few weeks away.

655" Predator for all your power needs. or mine. :lol:

I was refering to @yellow rose post about the TF 408 against an N/A Gen3. I saw an SRT8 drop the hammer against a popping at idle Chevelle with unknown motor and the SRT8 just walked away from it effortlessly without a chirp, while he was still grasping for traction. Maybe it was the 6-8 sp trans the SRT had keeping the powerband against the older tech 3 or 4 speed of the big block (?) Chevelle. LS power unlikely as it was rumbling and popping like an old school big cammed V8.

I was talking N/A stuff. If you’d like I’d say a 408 or so and W2 heads with a tunnel ram in street trim against any N/A LS or Gen III. That seems fair.

Since you opened up this can of worms, there isnt a factory V8 mopar block ever made that can handle the power of any LS platform block, period. 6.4 is probably the strongest we've got. I've got a sweet LS on the stand for another car but am building a 470 stroker for the Dart. I wish I could bring myself to drop the LS in it. They're not cheap unless you buy some junkyard one and beat on it. Still a bunch of money to build an animal. The difference is the aftermarket and the strength designed into it from the factory. You'll split the Hemi long before you split a well-built, stock block LS.

I’m not sure about that. Guys are making big power with hair dryers on an LS but turbos make power much differently that Nitrous or a belt driven blower.

And just like the Gen II hemi and any BBM, that skirted block is a power killer. Especially in N/A trim. You can call David Nickens and ask him about that. I did exactly that in 1999 or 2000 at Woodburn. He wasn’t happy with the skirted block and spent big dollars unscrewing that deal. And he told me exactly how long it took to pull the pan and how long it took to put it back on, and exactly how much power it cost at 7000 RPM and up.

I’m not sure about that. Guys are making big power with hair dryers on an LS but turbos make power much differently that Nitrous or a belt driven blower.

And just like the Gen II hemi and any BBM, that skirted block is a power killer. Especially in N/A trim. You can call David Nickens and ask him about that. I did exactly that in 1999 or 2000 at Woodburn. He wasn’t happy with the skirted block and spent big dollars unscrewing that deal. And he told me exactly how long it took to pull the pan and how long it took to put it back on, and exactly how much power it cost at 7000 RPM and up.
I think that's what Steve Morris said also.

-
Back