No Electronic box in pointless distributor

-
If it's a electronic distributor it has to have a module to run it. Trace the wires. It could be under the dash.

yeah now you are talking bolted to the back of the glove box liner
that's where i hide stuff.

or in a pill bottle weighed down with lead shot in the toilet cistern....

did i just say that out loud !! :)

Dave

I think you can buy a whole conversion kit with the distributor, resistor and ICM for the car if you don't like the setup that is in it, or convert it back to points. Check ebay and Jegs and other sites.

All that is needed to upgrade is a HEI module [ $25? or $5 from the junk yard ] & a 0.5 ohm bal res. If upgrading to an E core coil for more spark, res is not needed. Wiring diagram is on the net, very easy to do.

Pretty sure that's a Lean Burn; I have the slant six version on my Dart because I wanted to use a locked distributor and have EFI control the timing. There are a few possibilities here - any of them will be a can of worms for a street car, but they're going to be completely different worms. Or worse, "worms" with cat eyes and yellow tails.

1. There is some sort of computer controlled advance, hiding somewhere in there, quite likely under the dash. If you're lucky, you may have a vacuum line running through the firewall to find the controller, where it will be used for vacuum advance. You're dealing with something complicated that the owner did not leave any documentation about.

2. This is a full on race engine with locked timing.

3. The previous owner thought it was a full on race engine and should use locked timing but was a little delusional about its capabilities.

4. Whoever put that distributor in there was either really desperate to get back on the road after the correct distributor broke, or stupid enough not to realize the difference between a regular and Lean Burn distributor.

Lean Burn in my memory used 2 electronic pickups, one for starting ( maybe a fixed amount of retard?) and one that fed the electronic timing control. The distributors had no mechanical OR vacuum advance. There has got to be some electronic device somewhere firing the coil. Just my 2c

Lean Burn in my memory used 2 electronic pickups, one for starting ( maybe a fixed amount of retard?) and one that fed the electronic timing control. The distributors had no mechanical OR vacuum advance. There has got to be some electronic device somewhere firing the coil. Just my 2c

The later Lean Burn system (re-branded "Electronic Spark Control") in the '80's used the single pickup design and no advance mechanism. I agree there's a box or module hidden somewhere on the car, probably under the dash.

-
Back