No fluid in reservoir! Need advice!

-

53ryder

Reaction score
So I picked up this 65 Dart earlier in the week. The brake pedal seemed to go in quite a ways. I don't remember the last time I drove a car with manual brakes but I'm guessing modern power brakes stop a lot faster.

So I took off the cover to the brake master cylinder (is that what it's called?) and there's no brake fluid visible inside the reservoir. Not sure if any air has gotten into the lines? Obviously I'll need to add some fluid and bleed the brakes and check for any leaks, etc.

Can I use DOT #3 brake fluid to fill the reservoir up? Or do I need to use something else? I have some #3 lying around my garage which is why I'm asking.

Glenn

Yes....... Dot 3 is what you will need, and it is certainly possible
that air has entered into the system, if you can see no fluid in the main
hole, where the master cylinder piston is.

Yes Dot 3 and be careful how long it's been "laying around". That stuff is a magnet for moisture. Might want to look into a fresh bottle or two when you go to fill and bleed. Hey it's your brakes we're talking about. Then after that's done you have to figure out where the old fluid went, as in leak.

Dry master cylinder indicates total failure of system. Bleeding will not fix anything, and brakes are perhaps the most important system on a car that needs to be 100%.

I would pull off all four drums making sure they are in spec and not turned over size, inspect the following: all soft lines for crack & stiffness; hard lines; wheel cylinders, worn and or contaminated shoes for problems. Check back of master cylinder at inside of fire wall for leaking brake fluid as well. Chances are good that your brakes need to be resurrected with several new parts. Soft lines over ten years old probably need replacing; there should be a date manufacture of on them, if no date they are real old and unsafe. A master cylinder that has been left dry for any length of time is most likely has corroded and will not be safe to use, so replace it with a new, not rebuilt unit.

Now would be an excellent time to upgrade your brakes to a duel pot system such as was required by DOT for all 67 and up cars. This an easy project requiring a 67 and up distribution block, a two pot master cylinder, and a little plumbing to make your new baby a much safer vehicle. We can help with this low cost conversion if you need it.

Dry master cylinder indicates total failure of system. Bleeding will not fix anything, and brakes are perhaps the most important system on a car that needs to be 100%.

I would pull off all four drums making sure they are in spec and not turned over size, inspect the following: all soft lines for crack & stiffness; hard lines; wheel cylinders, worn and or contaminated shoes for problems. Check back of master cylinder at inside of fire wall for leaking brake fluid as well. Chances are good that your brakes need to be resurrected with several new parts. Soft lines over ten years old probably need replacing; there should be a date manufacture of on them, if no date they are real old and unsafe. A master cylinder that has been left dry for any length of time is most likely has corroded and will not be safe to use, so replace it with a new, not rebuilt unit.

Now would be an excellent time to upgrade your brakes to a duel pot system such as was required by DOT for all 67 and up cars. This an easy project requiring a 67 and up distribution block, a two pot master cylinder, and a little plumbing to make your new baby a much safer vehicle. We can help with this low cost conversion if you need it.

Thanks for the info!

Glenn

-
Back