NO go without Downshifting

-

wstcstjunkie

69 Dart Custom
Reaction score
Hi, new to mopar and have a question about my new old ride, 69 dart custom 273, 3spd auto. When i punch the gas pedal the car does not respond, doesnt really bog down like a carb issue, but just doesn't pick up and go. If i shift down to second it has a little more power. is there a kickdown cable that may need adjusting?

Sounds like you need to adjust your kickdown.... you also may have a carb issue....

I just installed a Lokar kickdown.. super easy!

Depends on what the set up is. There is a thereaded bar with a adjuster nut which allows you to shorten or lenghten the kick down rod to achieve earlier or later changes.

try a search, there is a lot of info on adjusting kickdown

Also, is it a 2 or 4 barrel carb, that will also make a difference in power.

How many miles are on the motor? We had a 440 like this, it was just worn out, 1/2 the timing chain teeth were in the oil pan, nothing beats a silent chain! have you done a compression test or run a vacuum gauge?

also, if new to Mopar consider;
Rearaxle ratio? could be 2.76 or similar. With that 273, which is the smallest Mopar V8, its unlikely that you will have a street terror there!

it's got a 2bbl carb, i found the threaded rod and i threaded it in all the way and made no difference. i did see that it slides back and forth on the carb, should there be something there to hold it in one position? will try to post a pic. also not sure on mileage, previous owner said the 273 was rebuilt maybe 40,000 miles ago.

there should be a return spring of sorts.and i think you threaded the kick down in the wrong direction.you want to turn it ccw,so as the arm is moved backward on the carb(when you step on the gas)and pushes on the rod.

Be careful just monkeying around with that kickdown, you could mess the trans up and ruin it. Seems the your motor has a lack of power, a tune up might be needed (does any garages-shops still know how to do that) If you are running points they do wear out and need to be changed once in a while. Just cause the motor starts and seems to run fairly smooth doesn't mean its not misfiring somewhat.

it's got a 2bbl carb, i found the threaded rod and i threaded it in all the way and made no difference. i did see that it slides back and forth on the carb, should there be something there to hold it in one position? will try to post a pic. also not sure on mileage, previous owner said the 273 was rebuilt maybe 40,000 miles ago.

You theaded it in? As in making it shorter? You just made the problem worse. The rod needs to be longer for what you want. Get a factory service manual and adjust it properly.

Ok, so I did a trans service on the dart and saw a lot of metal in the pan. i replaced the filter and put it all back together. I then screwed the kick down rod out as in making it longer, and now it shifts better and i don't need to manually down shift to go anymore. I still can't light up the rear wheels though, maybe i will give it a tune up and check the timing and clean out the carb.

With a 273 and a 2bbl carb, it's not gonna lite them up without a power brake and water.

-
Back