No lights of any kind

-

Rob

Reaction score
No brake lights, signals or headlights? Any thoughts? I was thinking a fuse but wouldn't that be several fuses? What are the odds of that :munky2:

If you look at the backside of the fuse box you would find feeders to rows of fuses. Brake , horn, etc.. that are hot at all times are on a seperate row and feeder from turn, radio, stuff thats hot in run.
A water leak at the fuse box can short various fuses.
The fusable link will turn off everything inside the car.
Now more info ? wipers work ? horn ?

Actually a water leak is more likely to cause an open, not a short, due to corrosion getting to the fuse block. Most old Mopars leak at the wiper arms and it tends to drip onto the fuses causing rust and general nastiness. I had to take mine apart, change all fuses and sand down all the connectors to make them work properly.

Check your power coming out of the ignition switch (or not). It could be anything from a bad switch to loose or corroded firewall connector to an open fuseable link.

Things that work: speedo, horn

Don't work, all lights, signals, gas gauge and ignition (bi-passed that a while ago with a button start)

Haven't checked the wipers yet, the car sat for a number of years, just got my son to get it running for me and as I drove off he said you don't have any brake lights which then led to this discovery.

So step one is to go through the fuse box and see what it looks like in there.

Managed to get my fat head under there last night and have a look, they should really design an easier access to the fuse block :munky2: Anyway 3 blown fuses and somewhat corroded connectors. I'll sand them and buy some new fuses today, hopefully they won't blow again right away.

Only one screw holding the fuse box up. There is enough slck in the wiring to rotate it vertical.

Well it's a start but I would wonder what blew the fuses. They don't blow for no reason, only when you're pulling more current than they are rated for. If you temporarily shorted something it may explain the bad fuses otherwise you need to find the problem.

Well it's a start but I would wonder what blew the fuses. They don't blow for no reason, only when you're pulling more current than they are rated for. If you temporarily shorted something it may explain the bad fuses otherwise you need to find the problem.

It would appear that way or at least to some degree.

I've had the car for a number of years but never drove it until the other day, had no brakes when I bought it so it just sat. Over the last little while I've had my son work on it from time to time and now has brakes and runs great. I don't know if it had these electrical issues when I bought it or if they developed when he got it running?

I cleaned the connectors and replaced 3 blown fuses last night, one blew right away so I need some help with that witch hunt :munky2:

As far as I know the only things not working now are headlights and gas gauge, the later is likely a stuck sender from sitting in a mostly empty tank.

-
Back