No luck contacting Bullet Cams- any suggestions on vendors other than the big names?

-

SLOPAR72

Reaction score
The title says it all. I keep getting a line is busy... So I emailed them some information about motor specs. and nothing back. At this point I am not feeling real warm and fuzzy about it. So what's a good Vendor other than Crane or Comp?

Thanks,
JW

Jim at Racer Brown.

410-866-7660

Call after 5 pm eastern time.

Super great guy and makes a quality piece.

Perfect.... I am running an oddity in that the Exhaust Manifolds are going to remain on the car and since I am resolving another issue with the motor that's in the car now is the time to put a baby solid in it.... They have been around for a while and will be able to set me up...

Thanks,
JW

I have talked to bullet cams 2 or 3 times in the last couple weeks

I crossed checked the phone number.... Don't know but once I feel like something is forced I look at options. And here we are lol... I am sure they are doing just fine even if they miss the sale of one stick lol...

JW

If it's a mopar with manifolds give PorterRacing Heads in VT a call. Dwayne has lots of experience with those combos specifically.

Did you get ahold of Jim or someone else?

Keep us posted.

Thanks

Working on it now. I never branched out beyond Bullet honestly (other than a corporate name) so it has been interesting to see the names come up.... I will certainly update with some numbers but there may be a hurdle to overcome (lol....)

JW

Working on it now. I never branched out beyond Bullet honestly (other than a corporate name) so it has been interesting to see the names come up.... I will certainly update with some numbers but there may be a hurdle to overcome (lol....)

JW
Bullets getting slammed with orders but still 2-4 day turnaround for most cams. I was there for a bit yesterday and it was non stop callers needing cam help. Never email them.

I wanted to use this mfg for my cam since it's my last name too.

But I went to Lunati
If you did, great, if not, great.
People can get a bit diehard when it comes to brands, preferences vary...what works is gold, right? We all have a bit of this in us...I think they call it 'common sense'.lol Well we are just the lucky customers, fortunate enough to have a good experience be it quick turn around, customer service in general... or just by virtue of giving the correct and utmost accurate details of the motor/heads, usage, hp expectation. But it could have been the next company in line that ground your cam and gave the same end result...you'll never know, right?lol Others like to throw in the brand issue..."they're a Chevy shop" or "they're a Mopar only shop"...if they are a REAL shop none of that would matter, it's math+experience...plain and simple and in my opinion the only water those statements hold is in regards to shadow grinders/builders who take the stenciled path... grinding old catalog numbers, which does happen a lot. Thing is...there are variables, be it flaw or advantage in the combo , those numbers on the box by only a few degrees can make or break the performance...hence experience.
Honestly I find myself happy with every custom grind I use, be it Engle, Herbert, Lunati, Schneider etc.. and I'm sure you will too. BTW Lunati gets pricey.

If you did, great, if not, great.
People can get a bit diehard when it comes to brands, preferences vary...what works is gold, right? We all have a bit of this in us...I think they call it 'common sense'.lol Well we are just the lucky customers, fortunate enough to have a good experience be it quick turn around, customer service in general... or just by virtue of giving the correct and utmost accurate details of the motor/heads, usage, hp expectation. But it could have been the next company in line that ground your cam and gave the same end result...you'll never know, right?lol Others like to throw in the brand issue..."they're a Chevy shop" or "they're a Mopar only shop"...if they are a REAL shop none of that would matter, it's math+experience...plain and simple and in my opinion the only water those statements hold is in regards to shadow grinders/builders who take the stenciled path... grinding old catalog numbers, which does happen a lot. Thing is...there are variables, be it flaw or advantage in the combo , those numbers on the box by only a few degrees can make or break the performance...hence experience.
Honestly I find myself happy with every custom grind I use, be it Engle, Herbert, Lunati, Schneider etc.. and I'm sure you will too. BTW Lunati gets pricey.

True. But to me, it's more important to get along with the guy on the other end of the phone. And I prefer to talk to the guy grinding the cam.

True. But to me, it's more important to get along with the guy on the other end of the phone. And I prefer to talk to the guy grinding the cam.
Yes, agree with you. As for grinders "in house" that would be a few, literally, west coast wise. Engles facility is nice. Race car bodies on right side warehouse, left side parts , back warehouse... grinding machines, just bobbin away.... after that, there is the guy in Gardena or over near, I do it all over the phone now once I scoped it out, he grinds for different Brand names including Herbert cams. He's been doing it a long time. When I read people's specs on here...I chuckle sometimes, they can be almost identical to som r of my own "custom grinds". Like I said, I'm happy with the stuff I've gotten ground, I sometimes even debate the guy on the phone and I definitely speak a step a ahead of him so that he knows I'm sharper than the average *** hole that calls and asks for a cam that'll Rev 9000k and idle at 800 on a stock convertor....

Yes, agree with you. As for grinders "in house" that would be a few, literally, west coast wise. Engles facility is nice. Race car bodies on right side warehouse, left side parts , back warehouse... grinding machines, just bobbin away.... after that, there is the guy in Gardena or over near, I do it all over the phone now once I scoped it out, he grinds for different Brand names including Herbert cams. He's been doing it a long time. When I read people's specs on here...I chuckle sometimes, they can be almost identical to som r of my own "custom grinds". Like I said, I'm happy with the stuff I've gotten ground, I sometimes even debate the guy on the phone and I definitely speak a step a ahead of him so that he knows I'm sharper than the average *** hole that calls and asks for a cam that'll Rev 9000k and idle at 800 on a stock convertor....

The guy in Gardena...he's a one man show isn't he? I've heard of him before. I can't think of his name. IIRC he also grinds a lot of shelf cams for some pretty big names.

I also have to get talked off the ledge every once in a while. I come up with some stuff that I think is bitching but in real life ain't worth grinding.

The guy in Gardena...he's a one man show isn't he? I've heard of him before. I can't think of his name. IIRC he also grinds a lot of shelf cams for some pretty big names.

I also have to get talked off the ledge every once in a while. I come up with some stuff that I think is bitching but in real life ain't worth grinding.

Overactive optimism, the ramps don't last long when I get pushy, too fast. [email protected] 284 adv 110 .575 lift. Lasted idk...about 3 -4months/1500 miles maybe. Still have it on the shelf, they said to bring it in and they'll make it new for 50 bucks...and then see me again in another season..one lobe just starting to spec..

Called for psi was 145-150 seat 330 open.
Engle makes/made Hughes springs, or theirs were the model for Hughes at least back when they were doing biz together. Idk what the status of that is nowadays..

-
Back