no oil psi

-

cowest432

Reaction score
installed alum heads buttoned up my 360 no oil psi,, had plenty psi before change,, went through the norms for no oil psi, used a short oil filter this time filled it first zero,,here's what I'm thinking when installing headers i used the oil pan to lift motor,a block of wood and tranny jack so there was even pressure across pan,, I didn't notice any major dents in pan after I finished could this have caused no psi,, gonna remove pan Tuesday what else should I look for

What are you using to measure psi? Idiot light, mechanical gauge? Is it ticking, lifters? Open circuit on wire for idiot light, kink for mechanical?

Did you line up the rocker shafts oiling holes facing down the right way and in correct locations? It makes a difference.

using mech gauge checked tube no kinks,, not trying to fire motor, just cranking engine over,batt had full charge during this time so motor was spining

"What could have changed?"

1..........Did you have the filter off? Maybe it's just empty and you haven't given it time to fill

2..........You sure you did not collapse the pan?

3...........The filter is at the output of the pump. This means if you pull the filter off, there will be no restriciton. Pull the filter use a jumper on the starter relay so you can see. Give it about a 1 second crank and WATCH for oil. If you get no oil after severa (5) seconds then you got's problems

4.......CHECK the oil. LOL, you do have to have oil in the pan. and MAKE SURE there's no antifreeze / gas / water / etc in the oil

5........OVERFILL the pan. If you have lots of oil, dump in about 2 or 3 more quarts and try again.

6.........If that does not work, pull the distributor and the intermediate shaft and check the gear and shaft

7........What else did you do? Cam out? Rocker shafts? What else did you do?

8........If none of the above, time to pull the pan.

Iwould not crank it for ever your going to wipe that cam for sure,you should pull the dizzy remove the disturber drive and spin the pump with a drill first.

filled with fresh oil, filled filter before putting on, checked oil pump drive, gauge line, dist spins when cranking engine rocker shaft never entered my mind,, had to go with adjust rockers for eddy heads, would shaft being upside prevent mech gauge from getting a reading?

Try a new gauge, maybe you are actually getting good pressure but the gauge isn't working.

disconnected tube at block fixture and nothing while cranking motor over,,

Did you prime the motor with the oil pump drive out thru the distributor hole?
A cheap prime tool is to cut the gear off an old intermediate shaft and weld a LA push rod to it, spin it with a drill.
The last small block I built took a while to prime up, I also thought I had an oiling issue, so I took the oil pressure line off, when I was priming the motor all at once oil shot out of the fitting and hit the ceiling of the garage, what a mess.

don't have x-tra oil pump shaft,do how ever have a 440 shaft,, will check size and give it I go,, counter clockwise?

spin clockwise also as your spinning it you will need to spin the crank so the holes will line up so oil will got top the rockers.

360s turn CLOCKWISE

REMOVE THE FILTER

If you do not get anything out of the filter mount, it's time to pull the pan

Many? Some? oil pumps are INCREDIBLY close to the rear corner of the pan. It might not take much pressure to move the pan enough and crack the pump casting.

i never lift a car with the jack under the oil pan,wood or not,always use the k member or rails.probably not your problem,but i never do.

Kinda. Every where I go, hes already been there,and with right-on helps; so all I can do is concur.
-Rusty too, seems to always be one step ahead of me
-With only 184 posts Im a noobe here; Im sure as I become more familiar with everyone Ill notice other quickdraws. There are so many very knowledgable and helpful and generous guys on FABO, you included
- Ijuswannahugemall.
-My new semi-retired job gives me Mondays and Fridays off, so Im here trying to give back, sharing like so many others here.
-My only desire is to help and to share.Please forgive me if I offend anyone, and correct me when Im wrong.

THANKS to all for idea's on my problem,, I primed engine with oil filter off and oil came out, so I decided to go back to the reg size filter and **** can the shorty and I have oil psi,, thanks again

Probably had nothing to do with filter size. Something was probably wrong with the filter.

-
Back