no power goin to the starter from steering column

-
Status
Not open for further replies.

mopar7172

Banned
Reaction score
i have a 71 dart i can not get any power to start the car from the steering column where the iginitin is to the starter to start my car. i check to see if the igination switch was so bad it wasn't bad. do u think i'll might have a bad the starter relay? any advice would be nice thanks

Check the brown wire to the starter relay from the trans.Ground this prong on the relay to rule out the neutral switch. But be careful, it will start in gear when grounded if selectors not in park.

How many terminals on the start relay? Stick or automatic?

Should look like this?

http://www.musclecars.net/parts/par...9-imperial-starter-relay-new_170579962271.jpg

The two push-on terminals at the top are your first interest. Try to identify which one is "yellowish" and clip a test lamp / meter to that. Twist the key to start, do you have power?

If not, it's either a bad connection in the bulkhead connector, the connector on the ignition switch, or a bad switch

If you DO have power, unhook the OTHER wire (confirm you have the correct one by checking and twisting the key to "start") Then clip lead the terminal you unhooked to ground. If the engine cranks...........

you have a bad neutral safety switch (automatic)

or bad clutch safety switch (stick)

If it does NOT crank,

Short across the two large exposed terminals on the relay. If the engine cranks, the starter relay is bad

IF not, either bad solenoid wire (small wire) from relay to starter

or........bad big battery wire to starer, or bad starter

Now get down and short across the two terminals on the starter with a screwdriver.

IF the engine cranks, the trouble is starter relay, or the small solenoid wire from relay to starter

IF engine does NOT crank, either bad battery cable/ connection, or bad starter.

Hook your meter/ lamp to the big wire RIGHT AT the starter. Short across the two terminals at the starter. IF the voltage is 10.5v or more, and the starter does not crank, the battery cable is OK, bad starter.

my starter relay looks like that in the pic.i tested the igintion switch its good. the starter is brand new

Mine did the same thing on my 73...turned out to be the ignition switch,it wasnt fun,had to pull the steering wheel.

that suxs i goin to replace the starter relay first before that.

Please stop thinking about replacing parts, read my post above and do the simple tests as outlined. If you don't understand part of it, I'll be happy to try and reword it.

These are SIMPLE systems after you understand how they work.

The main TRICKS with Mopar after you learn them, that is different from Ferd/ GM,

The bypass circuit for the ignition is in the IGN switch, not the solenoid.

The clutch safety/ neutral safety grounds the starter relay, different from Ferd/ GM

Ferd / GM don't USE a starter relay

You probably don't need any more than a 12V test lamp and a few Radio shack clip leads to run down this problem.

Please stop thinking about replacing parts, read my post above and do the simple tests as outlined. If you don't understand part of it, I'll be happy to try and reword it.

These are SIMPLE systems after you understand how they work.

The main TRICKS with Mopar after you learn them, that is different from Ferd/ GM,

The bypass circuit for the ignition is in the IGN switch, not the solenoid.

The clutch safety/ neutral safety grounds the starter relay, different from Ferd/ GM

Ferd / GM don't USE a starter relay

You probably don't need any more than a 12V test lamp and a few Radio shack clip leads to run down this problem.
i found i had a bad starter relay. i replaced it after that i got power goin the starter from the steering column

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back