no reverse

-

67valiant

Reaction score
i have an 833 trans in my valiant and it will not go in reverse, we are makin custom rods because the trans is out of a truck, the shifter worked great before and now when we went to put it in the car it seems that the shifter doesnt want to go move the reverse lever(the one on the shifter it self) but all the other gears work just fine, but when i put the shifter in reverse it moves the first and second gear selecter, im so lost so any help is appreicated
thanks.

Is this the shifter you have to lift up on for reverse? May be a clearance issue with the tunnel. You did use a lineup pin to set the levers?

When the trans is in neutral are all of the levers lined up. If they aren't the bottom of the shifter won't engage into the lever to move it. You have to adjust the linkage rods, so that all levers are lined up in neutral. Hope you didn't make the custom rod with the levers off. If you don't have enough adjustment in the reverse rod you may have to make a new one.

yes all the rods were in the neutral position, we think the rod might just be out of adjustment so were going to try and see what we figure out
if u knowof any thing esle let me kno thanks.

hi, did you have the side cover off before you installed the trans? if so, the lockout shoe on 1-2 arm in trans will not allow reverse to work. the trans need to be in reverse when you bolt down the sidecover. sometimes, have to push cover up little bit make sure reverse will work.

-
Back