No Spark

-

Matt D

Reaction score
I have a 64 Dart. It was born with a 273, but had a 1984 318 in in when I bought it. I recently replaced the motor with a bit of built up 1977 318, and I cannot get spark. The old motor ran a Mallory distributor and MSD blaster coil. The new motor has a Mopar performance distributor with orange box ecu and a Mopar performance coil (though I left the MSD in place). I am pretty confident that it is all wired correctly. I replaced the ballast resister, just in case, but that made no difference. I know that this is difficult without actually looking at it, but I figured I would throw it out there and see if anyone has ideas.

Did you follow a diagram for the wiring or another approach, and if so what?

Somewhere on this board I posted a "how to." Try to find it with the "improved software"

Start by..........

Turning the key to "run."

Measure voltage at the coil plus and coil neg. Coil plus should be below battery voltage 6-10 volts

Coil neg should be very low, 1 volt or so.

Remove the dist. connector, and take up the harness side of the connector, not the distributor end. With the key in run, tap the bare terminal of that connector to ground. Each time should produce a spark, just one. Check with a grounded probe held in the top of the coil, or an inline spark gap tester

Make absolutely certain the box is grounded. MUST

Put your meter on AC volts. Spin the dist. or crank the engine, with the meter hooked to the dist connector. It should produce about 1V AC Inspect inside the dist. Look for shaft looseness / wobble, strike damage or rust and debri on the reluctor/ pickup

Get a .008" (inches not metric) feeler, O'Reallys did have these. Check the reluctor / pickup gap in the dist.

Try unhooking the tach wire

Thank you all for your input. I am sure that this will be helpful when I dig back into the car over the weekend

-
Back