no start

-

duster rege

Reaction score
pulled out old duster put new gas fuel filter it started ran down road missed under power put it away tried to start getting gas no start new balast coil elec ignition orange box rebuilt it 3 years ago well buddy did lunatti cam mild eddy carb never had an issue can timing have gone off dist is tight its getting spark

pulled out old duster put new gas fuel filter it started ran down road missed under power put it away tried to start getting gas no start new balast coil elec ignition orange box rebuilt it 3 years ago well buddy did lunatti cam mild eddy carb never had an issue can timing have gone off dist is tight its getting spark
How long has it sat?
Could need a carb rebuild, pumps dried up.

Hmmmmmm sounds like your car dont start and you need help trying to fix it but its tough reading a massive runon sentence even though you list what youve done to try to get it to start again which is helpful as it gives some context on what might not need to be fixed but I’m starting to go cross eyed as I read it some Im not sure what to suggest next

Hmmmmmm sounds like your car dont start and you need help trying to fix it but its tough reading a massive runon sentence even though you list what youve done to try to get it to start again which is helpful as it gives some context on what might not need to be fixed but I’m starting to go cross eyed as I read it some Im not sure what to suggest next
If you prime the carb will it start?
Not good on computer pulled of fuel line pump is pumping to carb carb is spraying fuel ,i pulled plug getting spark plugs dry.If i pump it few times it trys to it started once i ran it high idle adjusting linkage screw stalled when backed idle down. shouldnt plugs be wet with all pumping on pedal

Not good on computer pulled of fuel line pump is pumping to carb carb is spraying fuel ,i pulled plug getting spark plugs dry.If i pump it few times it trys to it started once i ran it high idle adjusting linkage screw stalled when backed idle down. shouldnt plugs be wet with all pumping on pedal

tough reading a massive runon sentence
Lets be nice. Not all of us are good at explaining things.
Ask a question, wait for responce, interpret responce, ask for clairifing information.

From what i have gathered....
  • Car ran fine last year or so
  • OP added fresh fuel, and changed the fuel filter
  • Engine started and ran but misfired under load
  • Shut off engine, would not start the next day
  • OP replaced the ballast resistor , coil and electric ignition box
  • Engine had cam changed 3 years ago
  • Engine had eddelbrock (sp?) carb added at the same time
  • Engine has run fine since then till now
  • OP stated dist is tight, but asked if the timing could be off
Lots of thoughts by others.

• OP states he pulled fuel line from pump to carb and gets fuel there
  • OP stated the accelerator pumps are pumping fuel
  • OP asked shouldn't spark plugs be wet if engine is not firing with all the fuel going into the manifold
  • OP states engine will start after pumping the pedal a couple of times on high idle but dies when idle is lowered
As best i can tell that's where we are.

Now where do we go from here

I'll throw in a small suggestion. Maybe block PVC valve as as may be stuck open? It's an easy 1st test and would make car die right after startup.

OP, did you dump out all of the old fuel from the tank or just add new fuel? If not, then who knows how bad and old that old fuel is. Drop the tank and clean it out. Old fuel will just make cold running worse or impossible. And these old tanks will contain lots of rust and crud. The filter may not stop it all, and your idle circuits in the carb may now be plugged up with crap.

Sounds like it ran at high idle but not at normal idle? Is that correct? If so, then try to get it running again at high idle and let it run that way 3 minutes or so 'til it warms up a bit and see if you can back it down gradually to a lower idle. This is an old carbed engine, and you have to get the choke set up right before it will start and run on it's own. Your pumping of the pedal before starting is doing what the choke does to get extra fuel in the carb in cold starting. With the cohoke not set right, you can usually make them run OK cold by conticually pumping the pedal when cold and gradually doing that lass and less as the engine warms up.

The plugs being wet depends on how much you pumped. So it is hard for us to say on this side of the computer screen.

BTW, I know where Harmony is..... we bought snowmobiles down at Moody in Mars.

-
Back