No turn lights or brake light

-

dartcuda

Mopar Or No Car
Reaction score
This is on a 65 Valiant I am putting back together. I have no power to the inst. fuse. Does any one have a wire diagram of the 65 Valiant or know where I might find one on the net.....This is driving me nuts...

The turn signals and brake lights work on the same wiring.
Start with the power at the brake switch. then go to the turn
signal switch. A good place to start.

brake lights should be hot at all times. turn signals are hot in run. 2 seperate circuits and fuses. They do both pass through the signal switch though.
The fuse marked inst. isn't relative to any of that.

Ok, the inst. fuse is the only one I don't have any power to. Ok, got my mind working here... The inst. fuse will not have power unless I pull the head light switch out to at least the first notch, correct. I haven't tried that. I have power to all the other fuses with the key on. Now to make sure, the brake light switch is a ground, correct, or am I wrong on that.

the brake light switch is just a open or closed contact. The brake light fixtures are the ground.
If you have a test light toy should find power at one wire of brake light switch. Push the pedal and find power on the other (That may be a tan wire).Leave ignition switch off. Now poke a hair pin in the connecter or shove a shirt pin through both wire casings so you don't have to hold the pedal down.
the brake light current in now going up the steering column to the signal switch. From there the current comes back down the green and yellow wires to one or both rear lights depending on the position of the signal switch.
That switch is the culprit most of the time but atleast now you know a little more about what to look for. God luck.

Hey guys, thanks for the replies. It has been very helpful so far. Steptoe thanks for the link to the wiring diagrams, that is what i was looking for...Redfish thanks for giving me a better understanding of how it works. I will try to work on it today. Plus i will have to get a better look at the brake light switch as I am thinking I only saw one wire going to it.

-
Back