No turn signals gremlin

-

GDL

Reaction score
Ok, wife was driving her car (72 dart) and a puff of smoke came out of the steering column. Now the blinkers don't work. We have already replaced: any and all fuses, blinker cam. Only replaced the cam since 42 year old plastic is brittle.

We have also checked 98% of the harness (just haven't pulled the ENTIRE CLUSTER YET). If there is a short its not from the drivers doors back.

Now here is the weird part......

The front hazards work but flash very quickly. However the rear hazards don't work and all four corners of the blinkers don't work.

Any ideas? I'm a Pontiac guy and wiring issues areUn't all that common so I suck at trouble shooting electrical.

Since smoke came from the column the turn signal switch is the most likely culprit.
There is a lot more to it than just a cancel cam.

^^Agree with Red

Has anybody chopped up the wiring and bypassed some fuses? These girls are pretty "under" fused back then, but in the case of stop, 4X and turn signals, all those circuits are fused. In other words "let's say" the rear harness shorted somewhere like under the back seat, a fuse should have blown unless they've been bypassed or way to large fuses substituted

In the case of your car, what goes "into" the column is power from the stoplight switch, and power from the 4x and turn flasher. The column switch then routes that power as needed All three of those should be fused

You have a 72, you can download a factory manual here, for free.........

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?p=1970088617

Will show all this info to the father in law who is an X-ray repair technician. He ought to have fun with all this info.

The car is pretty bone stock...... Just a re-dyed interior.

I had weird issues with mine: One brake light, no right turn signal, all good bulbs and fuses. I got a wiring schematic, found the common denominator was the turn signal switch. I replaced it, bought from SlantSixDan here, solved the problem.

Update,

Father inlaw was wrong sadly.... Brake lights don't work and only the cabin part of the hazard relay is working per se. It's drawing amps and clicking but that's it.

Any ideas....

Update,

Father inlaw was wrong sadly.... Brake lights don't work and only the cabin part of the hazard relay is working per se. It's drawing amps and clicking but that's it.

Any ideas....

My money is it's in the column, blinker switch. I had the same issues and after pulling the wheel a couple of times, I realized that if I left it off it made life easier. I had to pull mine apart several times before I got it all working.

NOW, a year or so later, I'm having the same issues (eljunko replacement). I bought a better
cam and will have to go through the same thing all over again.

It probably would not hurt to check all of the grounds at the lights as well. It could be the ground is bad and the switch got hot and smoked it.

On mine it had to do with the 4 wire prongs on the cam, I had to keep tweaking them until everything worked.

Ok, let's hope cus they worked a while back then we replaced the signal can so lets just hope it's in the column behind the wheel.

I'm glad you had a similar issue it helped trouble shooting......

Time to pull the steering wheel again.

Had a grounded wire on the right hand turn signal harness. But the signal switch due to age died since we thought it was up there.....

So installing a new switch when it ships in.

-
Back