noise coming from timing chain cover

-

midlife89

Reaction score
At first I thought ticking noise was coming from bad lifter but I found the noise was coming from the timing chain cover by using a hose.It seems to be louder on the driver side below water pump but above crank.What do you think? Too long of bolt some where?fuel pump arm hitting timing chain?

You can't properly diagnose it without dropping the accessory belts. You need to do just that. The bearing in these water pumps will fail far enough to let the impeller eat at the timing cover without leaking a drop of water from their weep hole.

I did run it less accessories and still made ticking noise.I'm going to try loosening the 2 lower water pump bolts since they run through the timing chain cover.Maybe hitting on chain or cam sprocket/sprocket bolts.Going out there now and try it.

you can fire it momentarily with the pump completely off if you want to make sure the pump and cam excentric are not involved.
Just plug the hole with a rag and put the bolts back it for testing or it'll blow oil out.

That didn't do it going to pull fuel pump next and check the arm to see if any wear marks on it where it's hitting the timing chain.

Great news it was the fuel pump! I see a slight mark on the arm should I notch it or try and hit it w/a hammer to clearance it?

Great news it was the fuel pump! I see a slight mark on the arm should I notch it or try and hit it w/a hammer to clearance it?

From the timing chain?
I guess if it IS from the timing chain the chain is probably all sloppy and should be swapped out.
BUT, if you do decide to notch out the side try to not go so far as to go all the way through the side so it doesn't end up snapping off the end of the arm.
Imagine what could happen if a peice of it got between the chain and gears.
Probably snap the chain and possibly eat some valves. (If you were lucky)

I would check the pump arm for lateral movement. It's only supposed to go up and down.

You don't EVER need to "clearance" anything in there

If something is hitting something else, it's because something is wrong, bent, loose, worn.

Since you have the pump off, you can feel the chain "in there."

Read your service manual. There's a procedure in there to check the timing chain

"The quick way" is to pull the dist. cap and wrench the engine back/ forth until the rotor "doesn't quite move. You can FEEL the chain "against the slack". See how far the timing mark moves when you do this

By the way it 'd be pretty darn handy to know what you are working on. It's not "blue"

What I'm working on is a 360.rebuilt about 3yrs ago.Timing chain is new,double roller,Comp I think.I thought the noise was a lifter.The only thing I can think of that I reused was the thrust plate.The fuel pump is a Carter muscle car.I've got some medical problems so I have to fix the noise w/minimal cost because I might end up selling the car.Its much quieter now that I squeezed the lever in a little.I might try another pump before I pull the timing chain cover.I wonder if it's catching because it has a double roller chain now,wider that single? I did notice that the chain I was a little sloppy when I installed it.But the timing is not jumping when I checked the timing w/a timing light. When I looked at an Edelbrock pump online I notice it had indentation right where I had to bend mine.

-
Back