Non Linear Linear Fuel Sending Unit Difference

-

"Dart67"

Reaction score
This is what the Factory NON-LINEAR Resistor Board from a 1967 Dodge Dart Fuel Tank Sending Unit looks like.

Non-Linear Board 1-1.jpg

It is of an uneven shape with varied spacing over its length. I believe that the shape of the board is so that due to the spare tire "cut out" in the A Body fuel tanks.
I think this board shape and the windings allow the dash gauge to read correctly .
The float arm length and travel also influence the proper operation and readings of the dash gauge.

This is what a Universal LINEAR Resistor Board looks like.

Non-Linear Board 1-2.jpg

It is of an even consistent design from end to end. No variation in its width.
The windings are still varied from end to end.

This type of resistor board works "better" with tanks that are more consistent in size (square, rectangle, without "cutouts").

The float arm length and travel also influence the proper operation and readings of the dash gauge.

I am fighting fuel sending unit problems in my own car using an Autometer 73 -10 MOPAR/Ford gauge in my custom built aluminum fuel tank.
The Autometer gauge worked great with the Original Factory Fuel Sending Unit after float adustment.
When I built the new tank an changed to a universal TOP mounted sending unit the dash gauge readings are FAR from correct. I found that this is due to a combination of the odd shape of the tank and the LINEAR resistor board in the sending unit.
I am still working on a resolution.
I think I am going to TRY to find a original unit that I can modify for my custom tank.

I do not profess to be a expert on this subject, FAR FROM IT.

I hope this post sheds some light on the tank fuel sending units.

Herb

Last edited by a moderator:
-
Back