Non mopar colors

-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a wagon and I am looking to get into some new paint soon. However the factory T3 brown color is not doing much for me. Its kinda hard to start putting stripes and high impact colors on a wagon without looking overdone.

So I was thinking a solution might be a modern color ....I see some new cars with some nice colors. I am looking to "jazz" up the car without going over board and making it something its not.

What is the average mopar opinion on using non -mopar and more modern colors on an old car?

do what u want, it's your car.........lot's of paint to chose from........there's some really killer new stuff around imo.........
higgs

do what u want, it's your car.........lot's of paint to chose from........there's some really killer new stuff around imo.........
higgs

I am finding that deciding on a color is one of the hardest parts of a build because it seems so permanent and if paint was only 50 dollars I would say who cares but when the whole thing is going to 1000 + dollars ......I need to be sure LOL

I am finding that deciding on a color is one of the hardest parts of a build because it seems so permanent and if paint was only 50 dollars I would say who cares but when the whole thing is going to 1000 + dollars ......I need to be sure LOL

Join the club Rani, I'm still trying to decide on color myself.

I too, have been thinking about some of the newer colors.

a friend of mine did a newer mopar color, it was crystal red i believe.........but anyways it looked killer on his 66 nova..........
higgs

Get a "dart" board. (pun intended)

Put each color that you are considering on the board.

Throw darts until you hit a color....

(Get the point?)

Why not go with PlastiDip? They are coming out with clear coat shinny type gloss next month. Use the color for 2 hours or 2 years and just peal it off when you done with it. Thats the way i'm going with mine...also covers up some small imperfection in body work. For plan colors you can do a full size car for like 200 bucks for black or grey and 800ish for color flip stuff.

https://www.dipyourcar.com/home.php

Do you have a color in mind? To me personally I think cars of a certain era always look best with the colors of that era. That being said it is your car and that is just my opinion also I prefer dark metallics they just really pop in the sun. You are right picking a color is the hardest part and it took me a lot of time to decide to do mine in its original dark blue poly and I couldn't be happier.

paint it any color you want...

if it looks good or not depends on the actual color and the car. lots of modern colors look good on classic cars.

this is the cah (boston accent)

With the woodgrain breaking up the color, most any color will work. The problem is that the driver side woodgrain trim was trashed .....and trashed bad so it has already been removed and then the trim was in the back of a truck box and got crushed by someone throwing stuff in there without realizing. So woodgrain is off the table and long gone.

So now without the woodgrain whatever color goes on is going to be a lot of color with no break ups anywhere and that is one long roof LOL and that is the concern.

Attachments

• CIMG3163.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 404
  • CIMG0931.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 410
as much as I hate to take anything from any Japanese car maker ....I was thinking something........

Attachments

• 345434-svetik.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 406
those aftermarket wheels were put on it to make it a roller but those by far and long will be the first things to go.

this car originally came with deluxe wheel covers and I am very happy with them and will likely use the wheel covers. If that helps.

Of course wheels really shouldn't have any bearing because they change as easy as shoes.....which speaking of ...I also have a set of cop wheels as well as some 14' magnum wheels with the trim ring. I am not looking to build a hot rod so wide meats will not happen just stock sized tires really.

Attachments

• CIMG2385.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 374
Here's an idea. No idea what color it is. All I know is if I'd see a paint chip with it I'd be like "nah" but on the car it looks awesome!!

Damn phone....

well along that line I also strongly considered this one. ABB colors for me (anything but blue)

Attachments

• DSC_8498.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 388
Huh, that new 'Synergy' green they put on Camaros (dunno if that's the right name) would look rather interesting with the woodgrain. Or, if you prefer a Mopar color, Snakeskin green. Some form of copper (Mango Tango?) would look neat too...

Paint combos are fun to play with!

this is the cah (boston accent)

With the woodgrain breaking up the color, most any color will work. The problem is that the driver side woodgrain trim was trashed .....and trashed bad so it has already been removed and then the trim was in the back of a truck box and got crushed by someone throwing stuff in there without realizing. So woodgrain is off the table and long gone.

So now without the woodgrain whatever color goes on is going to be a lot of color with no break ups anywhere and that is one long roof LOL and that is the concern.

Think two tone,

I kind of like the color it is, but a medium brown with a vanilla shake top and below the lower trim line.

Or a medium blue, green with the same 2 tone

Ruby red with white top like the Flex

A high impact color would be just that on that car HIGH IMPACT

Actually the wood grain looks good on the old wagons, have seen many cars with painted wood grain.

But as other have said, it is your car, do as you wish

Think two tone,

I kind of like the color it is, but a medium brown with a vanilla shake top and below the lower trim line.

Or a medium blue, green with the same 2 tone

Ruby red with white top like the Flex

A high impact color would be just that on that car HIGH IMPACT

Actually the wood grain looks good on the old wagons, have seen many cars with painted wood grain.

some great ideas ...I had not thought of two tone because I wasn't sure if the era was right. ....but good idea. I see this as if we were all in the same shop around an open hood bouncing ideas around .......great stuff ...thanks

some great ideas ...I had not thought of two tone because I wasn't sure if the era was right. ....but good idea. I see this as if we were all in the same shop around an open hood bouncing ideas around .......great stuff ...thanks

...your wagon was originally "2-tone" lol

You know...that Subaru green with a darker green accent. Two tone. And I like the color of the GTO

...your wagon was originally "2-tone" lol

yea with the woodgrain ......there are times I wish it could be woodgrain again but I am not going to hunt down the trim after so much was done already. the reason it was junk is because the driver side doors are not original to the car so when they were replaced, the corresponding holes were not there on the new doors so rather than getting clips and doing it right like a normal human being....the repair person decided that sheet metal screws drilled through the trim was acceptable.

-
Back