Non Mopar,...GM 6.0 V8,...Info Needed

-

jaimus

Old School ASE Gold
Reaction score
Me and Momma decided on an 05 GMC Sierra 2500 SLE 4wd as a replacement for my trusty, but very rusty 98 Ram. The truck has a long bed, extended cab, 5 speed manual trans and a 6.0 litre V8. Got 58 thou on the Odo,..Runs good and the dealer wants a fair price for It. ...We have a couple at the shop and aside from brakeline issues, they have been fairly reliable. Any one else have a 6.0 gm and have ya had any probs???

Got one in my 08 25ft Motorhome.Maxed out all the time. Towa 24 Ft car trailer long distance at least 7-8000 lbs about 6000 miles a year. So far so good. GM calls it the Workhorse and I work it to the max.No complaints here.

Had a chevy 2500, 6.0 it was reliable 4 wd are problematic with shift solonoids. The 6.0 was very reliable.

From what I've heard they are tough and powerful. Gm's LS engines have been proven performers.

They are the new chebbie small block. What else needs to be said?

I owned an '04 for a little while a few years ago. Engine has decent power but likes gas, of course. I had one problem that was never solved. It would throw a code. IIRC it was some sort of an evap recovery problem. I spent $200+ for an upgrade kit to relocate a solenoid or something under the truck but the light would still come on. I finally gave up on it and sold it that way to a friend. He still has the truck and is satisfied with it. It's the vehicle he uses when he needs a bigger truck. He doesn't daily drive it due to the gas mileage.
Dallas

I have an LS in my 2000 Chevy pick up that has over a quarter million miles on it. Except for regular maintenance, and replacing the A/C compressor, it's never needed a "repair". and 18-20mpg's all day long.

Also have on in a 2008 GMC that just turned 100K, no sweat. 17-18mpg, all the time.

Not particularly a GM fan, but don't hate them either. Good service with the LS engine. 2 out of 2 for me.

You know what? A LOT of the times those evap codes are due to either the gas cap not being on tight, being bad, or leaving the vehicle running while filling up.

Been doing some reading on LS stuff. There are folks that push the 6.0, with factory rods/pistons/crank to well over 1000 hp, reliably, with a Turbo. Kind of says something about there strength...

I have driven 6.0 trucks, and my dad had purchased an 05 gto new. I have never heard of any problems with anyone I know, my dads gto saw lots of abuse but by the book maintanence, and it ran better than ever with 50k miles on it when he had to let it go. I think as far as that engine, you have nothing to worry about.

-
Back