NOS 100hp shot 'risky?

-

tooslow

Reaction score
How risky or complicated would it be to run a simple 100hp NOS kit (wet) solonoid. I would disconnect the rev limiter
I am running 38 Deg timing all in and would only like to retard my timing 2deg-36 is all...Dnt want detonation!
BB
AL heads
10.5 to 1
600 lift @050
253 dur @050
Electric pump
3/8 fuel line

I road race the car and if I RETARD the timing to much its going to hurt me
on the track.
I would like to have a little EXTRA BOOST in the longer Straightaways in case
a MIATA sneeks up on me :coffee:

Retard timing using a module that activates when the n2o is on.

I'd retard it more than 2 degrees, but, I sneak up on the right tune up.

That for sure. You don't want to be giving up the power full time.
100 shot isn't that scary. Just don't detonate or go lean and you will be fine.

But I still question the overall value. I don't think it would be worth the effort in a road race environment.

That for sure. You don't want to be giving up the power full time.
100 shot isn't that scary. Just don't detonate or go lean and you will be fine.

But I still question the overall value. I don't think it would be worth the effort in a road race environment.

How's your brakes??? You'll be needin em a bit more....

Your bottle isn't going to last long enough to matter in a road race situation.

On occasion im neck and neck or getting passed in a 1 mile long straight and it would be fun to have a little more BUGER!!! Getting passed sucks especially by a nissan (ugly whatever they are) twin turbo' sedans or fricken Cadillac w Elvis drivin-Ouch!

I'd retard it more than 2 degrees, but, I sneak up on the right tune up.
Like the MSD unit for Superchargers!! retards the timing when I need it
I could leave my timing ar 38D and with the MSD unit it would function when i hit the switch....

Thanks, I am going to check summit

Yes, but it's not boost referenced. There is a retard module you can put in the system, when the nitrous is activated, a pill pulls however many degrees of timing out of the system. You could even put a window switch, rpm range to be active(ex. 4000-7000) on it as well.

You can make this as sophisticated as you want.

Lean is better than fat. Fat will continue to run and punish parts! Get the RIGHT tune up, just like your carb. Would you run a carb with a 10:1 AF ratio? Why would you do the same with a nitrous unit.

Yes, but it's not boost referenced. There is a retard module you can put in the system, when the nitrous is activated, a pill pulls however many degrees of timing out of the system. You could even put a window switch, rpm range to be active(ex. 4000-7000) on it as well.

You can make this as sophisticated as you want.

The MSD 8292 says it can be used for nitrous and only when nitrous is used. $179 and I am using the
6AL already

Lean is better than fat. Fat will continue to run and punish parts! Get the RIGHT tune up, just like your carb. Would you run a carb with a 10:1 AF ratio? Why would you do the same with a nitrous unit.
The MSD 8292 says it can be used for nitrous and only when nitrous is used. $179 and I am using the
6AL already. I have food for thought

Thanks "crackedback" interesting name?

Im sure NOS is illegal ! But might be worth breaking the rules!
How dangerous would a 25lb bottle be to other people if i flipped over and the bottle flew out!!!! **** can go wrong at 150mph in a BIG WAY. Like a lower ball joint popping out!
Be a kick in the bags if the bottle can explode easily in a crash?

Read your plugs immediately after the first nitrous pull and for the next dozen pulls if that's what it takes to dial it in. All the bench racing in the world won't tell as much as a plug that is read properly.

Read your plugs immediately after the first nitrous pull and for the next dozen pulls if that's what it takes to dial it in. All the bench racing in the world won't tell as much as a plug that is read properly.
Good idea!!
Doesnt look like a huge investment and I think i will start with a 10lb kit., 50hp then work my way to 100hp nozzles
install the safety features

THANK YOU!!

What MSD Timing retard unit should I use? I am running a MSD 6AL and when I flip the switch I want to retard the timing say 5Degrees. I went to my Local speed shop to buy stuff but they didn't really know anything about what to use with my MSD box to retard
the timing?????

NOS kits usually state 2 degrees of timing retard per 50 hp of NOS and 2 more degrees for safety so a 100Hp shot should have the timing retarded 6degreese from the non NOS optimal tune. RIGHER is always safer especially if you are running stock cast pistons. Detonation will kill the motor quick. Get the MSD retard module and dial in the retard and activate it with the NOS trigger at full throttle. I can explane more if you like.

Garth

NOS kits usually state 2 degrees of timing retard per 50 hp of NOS and 2 more degrees for safety so a 100Hp shot should have the timing retarded 6degreese from the non NOS optimal tune. RIGHER is always safer especially if you are running stock cast pistons. Detonation will kill the motor quick. Get the MSD retard module and dial in the retard and activate it with the NOS trigger at full throttle. I can explane more if you like.

Does MSD make a single unit or do I have to buy the retard box and the dial unit.???
Speed SHop told me the new MSD 6 units come wuth one step of Retard built in.??
I have a new MSD and doesnt say anything in the instructions about a timing retard feature

Garth
Does MSD make a single unit or do I have to buy the retard box and the dial unit.???
Speed SHop told me the new MSD 6 units come wuth one step of Retard built in.??
I have a new MSD and doesnt say anything in the instructions about a timing retard feature

(MSD 8982 start retard unit with one step avail for nitrous
NOS Super shot kit that goes under carb) Use the 100HP nozzlwes and
start with 6degs retard

ANY MORE TIPS BEFORE I BLOW MY MOTOR??

This mds has a nitrous retard*http://www.msdignition.com/Products...l/6520_-_Digital_6-Plus_Ignition_Control.aspx

This one does too but is more involved. You use a computer to set the timing curve. Very cool IMO. I'll prolly get this one.*http://www.msdignition.com/Products/Ignitions/6530_-_MSD_Digital_Programmable_6AL-2.aspx

You could use his too with your existing MSD box*http://www.msdignition.com/Products...tard_Control,_Includes_High_Speed_Retard.aspx

Hook the kit up set the timing back. You will be somewhere in the 28-32 degree range all in. You should measure the total timing. If you don't have a light to do that get some timing tape. Don't run the vacuum advance.

Let me know if you need more info.

Garth

-
Back