Not all seals are created equal

-

goldduster360

Reaction score
Since I had the car up on jackstands to rebuild the front end I figured it was time to drop the pan, adjust the bands and replace the selector shaft seal since it was just starting to leak. Turns out the toughest part of the job was getting the new seal in. The first seal was a national seal in a federal mogul box. The shell was thinner and did not have a nice thick rubber chamfered edge going into the case. It would not line up in the hole and eventually folded up while trying to press it in. I have used national seals many times in other applications with no issues but this one for me at least just did not work out. It's a little trying to replace the seal with the tranny in place because you can't really see what you are doing. National would have probably been fine if the tranny was on the bench. I ended up using a Timken seal in the same 8609 part number and it worked out much better. Hope this saves some future grief for someone else.

Same part number 8609 in the Timken flavor had a thicker ground shell, not just pressed and had a nice thick rubber chamfer on the edge of the shell allowing it to easily square up in the case with hand pressure before pressing it in with a 15/16" socket and bolt/washer.

I always take the seal to the grinder,, and grind a nice chamfer on the leading edge,, after I wrecked the first one, like you.. then a little smear of permatex around the outside.

hope it helps

I always take the seal to the grinder,, and grind a nice chamfer on the leading edge,, after I wrecked the first one, like you.. then a little smear of permatex around the outside.

hope it helps

Great advice.

LOL, I wonder how many cuss clouds are still hanging over these old mopars from this annoying little seal job.

-
Back