Not an A-body but a Ram 1500 question

-

Coyote Jack

Member #55, I'm old
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a 2014 Longhorn Hemi 4x4. I recently had a rear axle backing plate rust out, break and take out my parking brake assembly. It also damaged the abs tone ring and sensor. New parts are installed except for the new tone ring. What I am wondering is, is there a way a DIY mechanic can remove the old tone ring and install the new one without a hydraulic press?

I figure I can get the old one off easy enough but getting the new one on might be a problem.

Jack

Don't know the answer to this for sure...but i do know tone rings are typically pretty brittle. I'd be surprised to hear that they press them on unless they go on dang easy anyway. In your shoes, I'd try to clean up the hub or whatever the tone ring is on... then heat the tone ring in the home oven and try to press it on pretty much by hand.

when i worked at ford, you had to buy an axle. then they started making just the tone rings. they were not that hard to but you needed to get it square to start it then drive it down to the correct spot. not sure if they make just the ring for mopar, but if they do, it will probably be a dorman part.

Jack, I have an axle at my storage from an older truck. I’ll see if the ring is on it later this week. Do u know how many notches/ bumps are on the ring? Kim

-
Back