Not in an A-body but I got a few 5.9l questions

-

dusted72

Thanks Hemiroid!!!!
Reaction score
Ok I am going to buy a 98 Ram SS/T when I return form Iraq whenever that may be. It is all stock with 98XXX miles on it. I am wanting some simple bolt ons for some noticeable gains in power. I was thinking about some good aluminum heads but that will probably have to wait a bit to see how money goes. What are ya'lls thoughts? Cam? Roller rockers? Programmer? Rear mount turbo?:)

A high flow exhaust and a cold air intake for starters. Then I'd do a cam change and some heads. But at the end of the day, speed/power cost money, how fast you wanna go?

From what I have read they run about 16 sec quarters and I would love to knock a couple seconds off that. I know some good tires will help that number as well. I will have hopefully around $1500 to spend on it after purchase.

roller rockers on those magnum motors really wake them up, then of course headers exhaust, a converter (2800) and maybe looking into a M1 intake manifold is where i would start. will prob get you into the 14's with tires is my guess

That all sounds doable too. Should be in my price range plus I can use all of that when I rebuild the engine too.

Keep in mind, the EFI system is speed density. Items added that add air flow (intake, exhaust, headers, cam, etc) will help because they make the engine more efficient, but the computer does not have a way to gauge the additional air flow, and you will not get the FULL benefit that could be achieved with your new air flow parts.

I'm not saying not to add them, but the EFI system is dumb, and as such does not allow all the HP and TQ that could be obtained. I wish it was a mass air flow sysstem, so it could wring out all the possible HP, instead of leaving some in the tune.

For reference, I have K&N, Pacesetter shorty headers, Magnaflow converter and exhaust, and major porting on the heads and intake manifold. I also ditched mechanical fans for electric.

What kinda gains are you seeing? Could I get the computer flashed or a programmer to help optimize the upgrades?

Gains?
No idea, never measured in any way. I sold performance parts for a living for years. I made the modifications with an attempt at increasing efficiency and power, but never got to the point of full on hod rod efforts.

The stock intake on those sucks. I would probably do the Hughes converted Air Gap first.

If you're looking for quarter mile improvements nothing (except maybe nitrous) will give the ET/$$ like gears, slicks, and converter.

Thanks guys for the input but I don't know how much I am gonna have to send now that my deployment may be getting cut short.

Pm me,I have a set of gibson shorties of a 99 fwdrive wasting away.Take offs of my maggie.

Keep in mind, the EFI system is speed density. Items added that add air flow (intake, exhaust, headers, cam, etc) will help because they make the engine more efficient, but the computer does not have a way to gauge the additional air flow, and you will not get the FULL benefit that could be achieved with your new air flow parts.

I'm not saying not to add them, but the EFI system is dumb, and as such does not allow all the HP and TQ that could be obtained. I wish it was a mass air flow sysstem, so it could wring out all the possible HP, instead of leaving some in the tune.

For reference, I have K&N, Pacesetter shorty headers, Magnaflow converter and exhaust, and major porting on the heads and intake manifold. I also ditched mechanical fans for electric.

You can screw with it a little bit.
I've screwed with initial timing by slightly moving the crank sensor and I've also messed with fuel pressure/injector sizes. I was able to do some positive things this way. Adjustments to fuel sync too with my scanner.
Adjusments to IAT voltage, TPS Volts etc, can also be used for neat tricks. The neat thing is that once you have it tricked, it just refers to it's original tables while not being aware of the things I have mentioned.

But if you want a good tune, B&G Chrysler here in Michigan can flash the JTEC PCM with a multitude of "tunes" to bring you closer into the ballpark with your modifications. They have been very helpful to me in the past.

Pacesetter makes a set of longtubes for the ram I believe. They will help nicely. The stock exhaust is dog ****. Dual exhausts is the ticket. The m-1 single plane efi intake in 2bbl with a larger throttle body, higher rocker ratio and maybe even what mopar calls the "R/T cam" will make a nice difference in how the engine breathes and pulls.

I totally agree though that without some form of PCM modifications that all you'll really get a response from are intake and exhaust mods like headers and a better intake/throttle body. It will be noticeable though.

I am gonna start with bolt on stuff first. Getting progressively bigger on the parts. Working towards a rebuild. Whatever I buy will be also usable with a hotter build so I don't have to buy things twice.

-
Back