Not Mopar - Car Theft Story with a Great Ending.

-

SpikeWills69

Live Free or Die
Reaction score
Here is a Stolen Car story with an ending that boggled my mind. IT HAS A HAPPY ENDING, just a long time in comin! First time I ever saw one of these was in the showroom of a Chrysler-Plymouth dealership in 1960. Belonged to the owners son I believe, and as a little kid, it left an impression on me.

http://articles.philly.com/2012-07-12/news/32633503_1_austin-healey-hot-car-new-theft

I worked for a company for awhile that restored these and they are pretty cool little cars. If it has to be British, let it be an Austin Healey.

Wow, I would have gave up looking after all those years. It's amazing that he found that car again still intact.

Thats awesome and props to the Philly PD for the work they did.

That's an amazing story! It's nice to see people go the extra distance to make things right.GREAT JOB PHILLY P.D.

I would've loved to see the look on the dealers face when the cops came, lol! It's amazing it wasn't parted out.

Great story but $600 Impound fee paid by the original victim??? That's Whack as the kids would say. He could have stuck the title in his pocket and drove it off the Dealers lot and nobody could have said a word.

Great story but $600 Impound fee paid by the original victim??? That's Whack as the kids would say. He could have stuck the title in his pocket and drove it off the Dealers lot and nobody could have said a word.

Probably what happened is that once the car was properly entered into NCIC by Philly PD, LAPD went and had a licensed salvor go tow the car from the dealership which had it to an impound lot to safeguard it. Once it was there the overnight storage fees kick in, and there's no way around it. The original owner would have to pay the salvage lot/impound area before they'd release the car to him. Unfortunate but that's the way it works.

There was a story a couple years back of a Corvette if I remember correctly that had the same "happy ending" for the original owner. It was being sold on Ebay and the original owner found it because of the VIN.

The CRAPPY part was the car had changed hands("legally") many times over the 40 or so years and was being sold by a woman who had bought the car "legally".

The original owner got the car back and the woman was out all her money.

-
Back