not standard dash/gas gauge question

-

monkey

Reaction score
all out of leads..... here we go typical gas gauge doesn't work, tank is grounded. Gauge does work but only if the gauge cluster (not sport style) isn't grounded. when I ground the cluster the gauge drops to "E". Has new voltage limiter in it plus have two others to swap with (one of those is brand new too)> now here is the other part of the mystery gauge is working cluster not grounded and if I plug in the wiper switch it will drop it to "E" also (second new switch) wiper switch is a 3 speed switch. has anyone out there have any ideas?? summer is fading fast and would like to get car out before winter

73 dart swinger 318 auto

Well it can NOT work if the cluster is NOT grounded. By ungrounding the cluster, you are creating some sort of false situation.

1--Treat the entire gauge(s) as a "system" from front to rear. If you believe the temp gauge is working OK you can eliminate up to the output of the IVR

2--Check that power to the cluster PC board is actually there. You should get 12V that is, "same as battery" at the supply terminal of the IVR. Check the harness connector pins to the board.

3--The IVR fits into contact fingers in the PC board. These contact fingers may or may not be making contact with the board traces. Solder jumpers across if necessary

4--The IVR MUST be grounded, it has 3 connections, 12V in, ground, and regulated output. Connect a ground pigtail from the ground board traces / mounting screws to the column brace, etc

6--The gauge studs/ nuts may not be making contact. Replace the nuts with "real" nuts, and loosen/ tighten them a few times to "scrub" them clean

7--To eliminate wiring harness and connection problems, ground the gauge right at the stud, and obviously if the gauge deflects quickly to "full," you have a wiring problem. Once again, this could be right at the board harness connector pins.

8--To check either temp, fuel, (or oil if equipped) get yourself some resistors. For example, 1/2 scale is 23--25 ohms, so buy a pack of four -- 100 ohm 1/2 watt from Rad Shack, and wire all four in parallel, which gives you 25 ohms.

Empty is 70--75 ohms, full is 11-13 ohms.

9--Don't forget that the gauge itself can be bad. For example, if you "rig" your test 25 ohms resistor, and connect right at the temp gauge stud, and the temp gauge works, but then move it to the fuel gauge stud and it does not, if you are sure the studs are making contact, then you have a bad gauge unit.

The little plug in instrument voltage limiter. These originally work like a flasher --pulse on /off to change 12V to a pulsing "equivalent" of about 5V If there's any question as to it's working, buy an aftermarket solid state one, like from RTE engineering.

Some guys build their own, an article:

http://www.allpar.com/history/mopar/electrical2.html

ok got it. i just bought another new one but no i did not ground either of them
them

-
Back