not sure how to fix this

-

dmopar74

Reaction score
mirror mounts on both doors are bout non existant. I could cut out the metal and replace it but personally I won't be able to get the front hump reformed in my patch. Doors are perfect otherwise. Thinking I can replace with sheetmetal, drill holes, and seal it up well I should be OK without the front hump?

20230820_150820.jpg

mirror mounts on both doors are bout non existant. I could cut out the metal and replace it but personally I won't be able to get the front hump reformed in my patch. Doors are perfect otherwise. Thinking I can replace with sheetmetal, drill holes, and seal it up well I should be OK without the front hump?

View attachment 1716130780

Can't really tell what model this is but if its a 67-76 A - Body I would try to locate a salvage door to use as a donor for the patch pieces. That would take care of having to hand form patches. There are all kinds of 4-doors scrapped that use the same formed mount for the mirror.

If it were me, I would cut out a good solid donor patch and slide it up from in the door. They should spoon nicely lol. Then run longer bolts(s) to attach mirror.
It's on my list to do altho our 67 is super solid, it's nice to have it reinforced. Door handles too.

I’ve had this issue on two of mine. “Front hump” is where the metal was pulled out of shape with the mounting screw. Don’t replicate it. The basic shape of the door skin can be made by pushing sheet down over a pipe to create the curve. Weld that new piece in and redrill for mounting. Any sheet metal you buy from the big box stores will be a much harder alloy. It doesn’t shape as easily but it is much stronger.

Look at classic industries for the mirror reinforcements. They bolt into that area from inside the door and give much needed strength. Looking at the photo it looks like you might be able to use the reinforcement without any welding and grinding.

Looking at the photo it looks like you might be able to use the reinforcement without any welding and grinding.
I was going to say... if the base of the mirror covers the nastiest part and holes, then bend up a 14-11ga backer plate that extends 1/2"-1" outside the weak area, to bolt the mirror to and get on with life.

-
Back