Not what I wanted to hear

-

inkjunkie

Reaction score
Had my spinal cord stimulator put in January 2020. Got rid of all my sciatic pain. Have been having ongoing troubles charging it. It is charged using the remote, which has a battery pack in, connected to a charging paddle. Seen my doc for a follow up 2 weeks ago. He is concerned with the charging troubles. Contacted Medtroncis, the manufacture, about it. They sent me a new charging paddle and remote but had me keep the old battery pack. Charging problem is getting slowly worse. Called them today to see about getting a new battery pack for the remote. They are sending me one. Was told that based off all the notes they have from the engineers about my charging issue that the problem is more then likely my device. Really do not want to get cut open again. The surgery is very short, it is the recovery time that I am not looking forward to.

Ugh. Doug, we'll be praying the problem is "somewhere else".

Ugh. Doug, we'll be praying the problem is "somewhere else".
Thanks. When I decided to get the stimulator I figured getting cut open every 9 years for a battery was not a big deal. It is not really the surgery that I am concerned with it is the recovery...going to be cutting it close to that start of the drag racing photography stuff. The local track is supposedly going to reopen this year...and they are kinda counting on me being there.

Thanks. When I decided to get the stimulator I figured getting cut open every 9 years for a battery was not a big deal. It is not really the surgery that I am concerned with it is the recovery...going to be cutting it close to that start of the drag racing photography stuff. The local track is supposedly going to reopen this year...and they are kinda counting on me being there.
I would weigh how I felt before the stimulator to after and gauge it by that. If you've gotten some good relief, it might be worth doing it again. Is there something that has an external battery pack?

I would weigh how I felt before the stimulator to after and gauge it by that. If you've gotten some good relief, it might be worth doing it again. Is there something that has an external battery pack?
The stimulator is head and shoulders above being in opioids. I think Medtronics does have a device with an external battery. Battery is under warranty, that being said doubt that Medicare will pay for another device. Thing that I'm really concerned with is if I do have to get cut open I can't charge it until I'm healed which means I'm going to hurt....alot

I talked to my doctor about having a stimulator put in me after the trial. He does the Medtronics and the Boston Scientific models. I haven't decided yet on if it be worth it for me.
Really hope it works out for you.

I talked to my doctor about having a stimulator put in me after the trial. He does the Medtronics and the Boston Scientific models. I haven't decided yet on if it be worth it for me.
Really hope it works out for you.
I participated in the clinical trial for a Boston Scientific stimulator. For the brief time I used it the Boston Scientific unit worked as well as the Medtronic trial unit I had.
Spent some time talking with the Medtronic rep. I need to get an appointment set up with my doc on the "stim day" so that he can figure out what is going on with it. Brad assured me that it is just a glitch in either the firmware of the stim or the programming of it.

I participated in the clinical trial for a Boston Scientific stimulator. For the brief time I used it the Boston Scientific unit worked as well as the Medtronic trial unit I had.
Spent some time talking with the Medtronic rep. I need to get an appointment set up with my doc on the "stim day" so that he can figure out what is going on with it. Brad assured me that it is just a glitch in either the firmware of the stim or the programming of it.
That sounds encouraging. Will be praying for a "non complicated" solution.

Sounds messed up, but.....
My Medtronic pacemaker was replaced "under warranty". Had issues with settings staying put and drifting out of spec. The pacer would either work when it wasn't supposed to or not work when it should.
I would ask if they'll cover it under warranty. Worse thing they could do is say no.
What is the battery life of your device? Medtronic is saying 10+ years on my pacer. I understand the two are not the same.

I figure they don't do updates by plugging a USB cable into your fillings?

-
Back