Now that the dash is out

-

Cravin'sCuda

Reaction score
Now that I have the dash out to fix the speedo(150 mph one that broke the pin that goes to the needle) and repaint the dash. What else should I do while its out. All the gauges worked. I was going to bypass the the ammeter and change the seals for the wipers. While the dash was out is there anything else I should take of in a 40+ year vehicle. Thanks

Yup.............Carefully inspect the entire wiring harness in there, and especially where it has come in contact with edges of the inner steel dash structure.....there should be some points where tabs have held it in place......

Over time, vibrations can cause wear through on the outer wraps, putting the harness in danger of shorts..........AND, because at times previous owners may have replaced dash panel screws with others that were too long or perhaps sharp tipped (it's amazing what you might find), you could have punctures in the harness around the left side specifically.........

A careful inspection is better than a whole lot of smoke and headache later on.

Ckean and lubricate all the moving parts, wiper linkage, heater controller and its cables. Clean all the copper contact points of printed circuit boards, replace all those light bulbs.

Does anybody know if they make LED replacements for the bulbs?

What bulbs do they use, 1157s ?You can swap in some brighter 2357s

redfish is on the mark(again).claen it up, grease it down, smoothe it out and,paint it shut.

-
Back