Number made of 1970 Duster

-

Tamaren

Reaction score
Hello,
So, I have a 1970 Plymouth duster, factory 340 Plum crazy Rallye sport, 727 auto. Somebody wouldn't happen to know how many of them were made? I saw on a previous thread that there were 21000 Duster 340s, And 3.2 percent were Plum crazy, so 750ish of them. Apply the Rallye option with the auto... Any info would help,
Thanks!

I know this won't be useful but there are more In-Violet Dusters now than ever........very popular color for repaints.

Chrysler never built a "rallye sport" package or option for the 1970 Duster....

There were no numbers kept that were that specific. Yes you can get Car, Engine and Trans, but not color, trim etc... I would bet the 3.2% is the percent of all cars with In-violet/plum crazy paint. These were not metric's they kept like that then. But yeah every little bit helps to come to determine an approx number.

All the files that were available for someone to research this stuff were destroyed in a fire at the archives long ago.

The sad part is the records being destroyed by a fire are a rumor, Chrysler has them stored on tapes that are similar to what NASA used to use. I read that the computers which used to be the size of a room are what played them and of course those computers no longer exist. It was said it would be in the millions to be able to take the digitized tapes and transfer them to something readable.

1970 Plymouth Duster

Total .................... 217,192

* Base Model........ 173,730
* Gold Duster......... 18,655 {Introduced in Mid-Year}
* Duster 340.......... 24,817

That is what I was told by Chrysler Historical, that the fire didn't destroy them, but the water used to extinguish it did.

But what you're saying does also make sense. I do find it strange that someone hasn't come up with a way to read these archival tapes with the collector market and value of many of these cars. I am sure others used a similar IBM or UNIVAC system and were able to transfer data without incident. Yes, these early systems were massive 4 to 5000 sq-ft may be an understatement.

Yes, understood. Plum Crazy for Dodge and In Violet for Plymouth

You beat me too it :) It is a great colour...

I believe they also broke them out based on transmission..4 speed vs auto...with the 4 speed being a lot rarer...

I know that the factory paint for the FC7 was crappy. I had a new 70 that was that color and after 2 or 3 years the paint was peeling starting out on the roof. It really made a fairly new car look bad seeing all the primer showing thru.

-
Back