Oddball 1970 Dart GT Find....

-
Cool find! Are you able to find the original buyer with the build sheet?? Maybe DMV do a history check on it??

Spotlight is coded on fleet cars, usually utility or telephone company cars from back in the day. Police A-bodies didn't come online until '75. We still get them up here in the yards every so often- usually a Dart, maunal steering, swaybar, HD suspension, drum brakes, rubber floor mats, and a spotlight in the A-pillar

Cool find! Are you able to find the original buyer with the build sheet?? Maybe DMV do a history check on it??

The buildsheet was behind the rear seat back, the original buyer was not there though!! He must've escaped through a rust hole in the rear qtr!!!LOL!! Geof

If it really had/has those police options installed like the buildsheet eludes to...

It did not have them installed, the codes are not 'normal' sales codes & they are typical of Windsor cars. For whatever reason they had a different meaning at this plant.

This would be the FIRST car registered on Bruce's site with a V8. He would have been absolutely flippin out about this. What are your plans for the car? Joey owns Bruce's site, btw. I wanted to make SURE all of his info stayed up so I got Joey and Melanie together and they worked out the details, but it's Joey's now.

This would be the FIRST car registered on Bruce's site with a V8. He would have been absolutely flippin out about this. What are your plans for the car? Joey owns Bruce's site, btw. I wanted to make SURE all of his info stayed up so I got Joey and Melanie together and they worked out the details, but it's Joey's now.

Glad to hear Joey took over. I was wondering what was going to happen to that site. There is a lot of good information on it.

Well, after looking through the list of registered car on Bruce's site, I can report that almost 50 of the currently registered cars have the E44 318 V8 engine option. However, this car is currently the only car registered with the D51 8 3/4" option!! W

What am I gonna do with it?? Part it out and sell the shell!!! If you check one of my above posts you will see that it needs both quarters, both front fenders, the hood and trunk lid, probably both doors, a complete interior, a motor and trans, at least one inner fender, etc...... Too much work for what it is, and I'm not that interested in 70-72 Darts. It will give parts to those in need and live on that way!! Hate to do it, but I can't save them all!! Geof

Yes and it would have been a tremendous shame to lose all of Bruce's hard work. Joey deserves a big pat on the back for that one.

Well, after looking through the list of registered car on Bruce's site, I can report that almost 50 of the currently registered cars have the E44 318 V8 engine option. However, this car is currently the only car registered with the D51 8 3/4" option!! W

What am I gonna do with it?? Part it out and sell the shell!!! If you check one of my above posts you will see that it needs both quarters, both front fenders, the hood and trunk lid, probably both doors, a complete interior, a motor and trans, at least one inner fender, etc...... Too much work for what it is, and I'm not that interested in 70-72 Darts. It will give parts to those in need and live on that way!! Hate to do it, but I can't save them all!! Geof

Really? Well I can personally tell you that this is information that Bruce was not aware of. Because I spoke with him in depth about it and he said many times that he had not found anything other than slant 6 cars as of yet. I know after he got sick, he had very little if nothing to do with that site, so I think perhaps he simply didn't know about it. I think he would be exploding! lol Now, if we can just find one with a 340 4 speed. LOL

Well before you part it, (and I don't blame you) How about regestering the car on Bruce's site? Also it would be of benefit if you took pictures and documented it well. I agree, you cannnot save them all. We can sure tell the story, though.

It seems to me that I read in Bruce's tutorial that these cars were almost always made in batches, with a lot of the same items from car to car. I believe that I read that every one he had knowledge of left the factory with the HD alternator and battery, HD brakes up front and not a lot of options to speak of. Lots of green cars too for some reason!!

Now, if this had been a 340 car I would certainly not cut it up, but the original motor was chucked in '94 when the guy I got it from bought it. Although he said it ran really well, he pulled the motor and had a 72 340 motor machined to replace it. Of course he just set the block in the engine bay with all fresh machining and let it sit completely open in a leaky old shimmy-shed until friday when I helped him pull it back out. He wanted $2500.00 just for all the 340 stuff... I passed!!! I didn't see the original motor anywhere, and know he sent it to scrap!! Oh well, so much for originality. If it had the original motor, that may have changed my outlook on the car, but it was just a 318 and it's long gone!!! Geof

Well before you part it, (and I don't blame you) How about regestering the car on Bruce's site? Also it would be of benefit if you took pictures and documented it well. I agree, you cannnot save them all. We can sure tell the story, though.

I already registered it, and am going to include pics and documentation about it's options as well, on the included info link there!!! Geof

i had one that looked exactly like it.same color and all.. minus the hood scoops and the rust...still have the broadcast sheet....somewhere....

Really? Well I can personally tell you that this is information that Bruce was not aware of. Because I spoke with him in depth about it and he said many times that he had not found anything other than slant 6 cars as of yet. I know after he got sick, he had very little if nothing to do with that site, so I think perhaps he simply didn't know about it. I think he would be exploding! lol Now, if we can just find one with a 340 4 speed. LOL

Bruce knew about the V8 cars. Both of my '71 GT's have 318's, and I spoke to Bruce personally about them a few times on the phone, he entered both of them into the registry himself. I don't think he ever updated the front page of the site from the time that he started it.

Now, this IS the first GT I've seen without a floor shifter. The buckets, console and floor shifter were pretty much all part of the GT package.

Some of the GT's were delivered in "packages" to certain dealerships. I believe that part of that story is on the GT registry site, a batch of them were shipped to a dealership in Washington, all of them were FF4 green (green cars to the "evergreen" state).

My butterscotch(EL5) GT is also a Windsor car, but the buildsheet's changed in '71, so mine appears a little different. Mine is one of only a handful on the site that were built in Ontario for US export, most of the US cars were built at the LA plant (like my GK6 GT). I also have a F09 code that isn't in any of the decoders, no idea what that is.

It'd be a shame to part the thing, its definitely a different bird even by GT standards. I'd like to see the roof reinforcement for sure!

My '71 Dart GT was born with a 318 according to the fender tag, but it now has a '72 casting 340 in it. An old Chrysler dealership mechanic (he and the dealership were both old) told me the '72 340 ci in my Dart was in all probability a dealership crate engine they kept on hand in case anyone blew up an engine while it was still under warranty. They would replace the blown one with one of these crate engines, and chances are whoever blew up the original 318, which were fairly easy to over rev and damage, had the dealership install the 340 instead of another 318.
No proof, just common sense and conjecture @ this point.

-
Back