Odessa / Procomp heads--pushrods?

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
Maybe I AM stupid. Saw these.............

http://www.ebay.com/itm/17162334839...em=&sspagename=ADME:X:RTQ:MOTORS:1123&vxp=mtr

Asked the seller if the pushrod holes are compatible with LA roller block, IE they don't look that big, and can they rework them if need be........

and their answer was............

please tell me how big the whole needs to be.. it is pretty large already..

Anybody know anything about these? ARE these holes large enough? Crop from a photo off the sale

Attachments

• pushrods.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 366
  • pushrods2.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 364
Quick look - no. The assumption should be made that you will need to mock up the heads, cam, lifters, rockers, and pushrods and clearance as necessary before final assembly.

Quick look - no. The assumption should be made that you will need to mock up the heads, cam, lifters, rockers, and pushrods and clearance as necessary before final assembly.

That's kinda what I thought. His answer is what troubled me, "they" are supposed to know?

I had to have my Eddy's pushrod holes opened up with a solid flat tappet cam.

I had to have my Eddy's pushrod holes opened up with a solid flat tappet cam.

Is this with factory based valve gear? Maybe that's what I neglected here. This is not going to run "fat" roller rockers or pushrods. Just stock stuff. If these were factory LA heads off a roller era engine, they "should" bolt on

Isn't Odessa the same as Clearwater? Isn't that the company people were having lots of issues with crappy machine work? Or am I thinking of someone else?

Is this with factory based valve gear? Maybe that's what I neglected here. This is not going to run "fat" roller rockers or pushrods. Just stock stuff. If these were factory LA heads off a roller era engine, they "should" bolt on

Hughes 1.5 alum. rockers.

My Pro Comps (aka Speedmaster) look to be bigger than the stock LA holes. You'll just have to mock it up and find out. It also depends on the lifters used. some have low seats to help like Hughes ad others.

I suggest getting the heads from Mike at MRL. He did mine, price was good, components installed were of known good quality and the install/ machine work is excellent.

mike at mrl has them on sale .....same price 1200 done complete ....but done right ...call him .....asap if that is what your looking for ...

mike at mrl has them on sale .....same price 1200 done complete ....but done right ...call him .....asap if that is what your looking for ...

I might just. I'm still back and forth on what to do.

If I read Mike's post correctly it does not include springs, retainers or locks. But call and talk to him. He's the easiest person I've ever talked to.

If I read Mike's post correctly it does not include springs, retainers or locks. But call and talk to him. He's the easiest person I've ever talked to.

Where is the info on this? I went to the MRL site

Where is the info on this? I went to the MRL site

He has an ad here selling the bare heads and openly quoted one guy for guides, valve and valve job. Call him for the best results, tell him what you want, what your doing ect. He'll steer you right.

Del, what heads do you actually have to work with? (On hand)?

I have a set of 340 J heads (These were originally on the 340 I put in the old RR back in 73!!!)

I had the guides redone and we just reamed them oversize. Basic valve job. I need to finish up enlarging the pushrod holes.

Still undecided where to go with this.

sbm pro-comp bare head casting -680 pair

valves -160
guides - 60---pro-comp guides are junk need to be replaced
guide install and size plus
hp valve job............. 315

total ..1215 ...plus shipping .....a steal and done right !!!!!

sbm pro-comp bare head casting -680 pair

valves -160
guides - 60---pro-comp guides are junk need to be replaced
guide install and size plus
hp valve job............. 315

total ..1215 ...plus shipping .....a steal and done right !!!!!

You are saying this is MRL? Thanks, I'm still kicking things around.

-
Back