Off by a tooth?

-

Longgone

John/68 Barracuda & Dart
Reaction score
I got the 440 stroker cranked today and almost immediately put the timing light on it. To get my 38* BTDC at 2500 rpm with vacuum plugged I had to bring the distributor much more forward than usual. The vacuum advance is usually about parallel with the front of the car, as it is now (timed correctly) it`s about 30* forward. When I installed the oil pump/dist drive gear it was not perfectly straight, so I tried it a tooth the other way and it was even worse. That didn`t fly so I put it back the way I had it initially. It was installed with no. 1 cylinder at TDC on the compresssion stroke( lash in both valves). Is it possible I`ve got the timing chain off 1 tooth? I went over it at least twice before putting on the timing cover. Any help would be appreciated.

It's real easy. but, if it was one tooth off, it would be much harder to tune. It may just be your combo. I would fire it and get the cam broken in with the timing where ever it will run the best for 25 minutes at 2500. Then worry about the timing. A good first step would be taking a compression reading on one cylinder. Post it, with the cam and true compression of the engine. If it's real low, it couild be a tooth off.

depnding on the quality of the cam, & timing gears, the centerline of the cam can be off. I've seen off brand peices that had the cam timing off by 4+ degrees. That's why you should always degree your cam, plus you can't really plan any changes if your not sure where you start at.

-
Back