Off idle stumble Eddy Carb

-

cosworth

Reaction score
Im running an eddy 650 on my 318, runs fine moving down the road but if i punch if from a stop it stumbles or out right dies. I have very little experience tuning carbs but i have kits with metering rods jets etc. Any imput on where to start would be appreciated...

Also the only way for me to keep the car from dying off a start is to pump the pedal, first pump it bogs and second pump it clears up.

Both jets have good spray so and i took the top off to check for any debris all clean. Only seems to do this once its warmed up.

Both jets have good spray so and i took the top off to check for any debris all clean. Only seems to do this once its warmed up.

Are you running a carb spacer, or insulator?
Does your engine use the exhaust crossover?

Try moving the rod on the accelerator pump arm out a hole. It's probably in the middle hole and moving it out should give it a slower and smaller squirt of gas when accelerating. It is probably just too much for a 318, my 360 even liked this outer hole better than the middle hole. If it's not getting enough gas then move it to the hole closest to the carb body, mine was doing something similar and it runs better now in the outermost hole.

No carb isolator, no exhaust crossover. My pump linkage was in the middle hole, moved it to the outer most hole and seems to help so im gonna give this a shot and see what happens.

Thanks!

No go, let it idle in my driveway for 5-10 mins then took it for a 5 min or so drive soon as i got near my house it started bogging of stop signs/lights again. To the point it seems if I dont flutter the pedal she might die sitting at a light. Heat soak?

It could be the other way, a lean bog, in which try moving the rod to the closest hole on the carb. Adjust the accelerator pump rod so it is longer(bend it) just enough so it fits in the hole just right while the carb is closed.
Also you could try changing the vac advance to whatever port different then what you have now, I'm running manifold but most use timed.
This is easy quick stuff, you may have to start messing with rods and transition springs but I personally would look for somebody with an air/fuel meter before going crazy there.

not a single question about ignition timing...

:shock:

:sad10:

Hadnt really thought about a timing issue till I saw your post. Ill put my timing light on it to verify this afternoon, i havent checked it for several months.

On another note ive driven this car the same 2 hour trip during the winter with temps around 50-54 degrees and I did not have this issue at all.

I spoke to soon... Ran fine for a few minutes today then for the life of me could not make it idle correctly, then after a stumble it backfired and blew all of my vacuum plugs off. I let it cool off and again it ran fine for several minutes then same crap.... Ive checked timing and im right at 15btdc using a timing light. It doesnt seem to be fuel starving my sight glass filter is always full all my fuel lines are running in the stock location but the summit headers run fairly close. I notice a bit of a burble as im running down the highway.

At a loss... eddy 600 (1406)

Is the carb still have the stock metering rods and springs? Did your rod and spring kit come with a book on what spring and rod changes to make.

Carb was close to brand new when i got it but P.O. had changed it so I put it back bone stock. The kits I have did not come with any kind of book.

Have you seen this........might help to see if your missing something.

[ame]http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new/mc/carbs_acc/pdf/carb_owners_manual.pdf[/ame]

I appreciate it gonna run through it maybe I can find something. Not fun to try and make it through so many red-lights missing 3 vacuum plugs!!!

I had the same issue (bogging off the line) with my 1407 until I went to an aftermarket distributor and coil. I blew off a vacuum cap at the gas station one afternoon because it would spit back like your carburetor... I cannot imagine how it would of responded if I would have blown two or more off, lol. Timing has a lot to do with it. Advance your timing and it should stop it from spitting back and clear up the bog as well.

Checked float levels, choke levels all good. Warmed the car up and let it idle till it quit running on its own then started messing with the idle speed etc, changed through metering rods just to see if I could make a difference bigger metering rod it got to a point that it appeared it was getting too much fuel but wouldnt idle.

Gave up for tonight gonna try again tomorrow...

I have a accel coil on the car stock ignition. on another note after I went through the rods I went back to stock and cannot get it to hardly crank unless I keep the RPMs above 1500 rpms it dies the moment it hits under 1499rpms

Thanks Kim ill give it a try tomorrow.

I should have known better than to have put that edelbrock aircleaner/torch on my car!

-
Back