Oh my! It runs!

-

72Valiant4Door

Trouble Maker
Reaction score

1972 Plymouth Valiant with a stock head, cam, bottom end 318 that has just had a top end, timing, charging, oiling and gasket overhaul. After swapping to a 4 barrel, HEI ignition, I was having issues getting it to run. I realized that the intake needed to be retorque sequenced. I chose to eliminate the ballast resistor, consolidate the engine harness, add additional grounds at that time.

This was the first successful run of the refreshed 318 in the middle of the process.

It is a Edelbrock performer, 1406, running through Dougs headers and Pypes 2.5 x pipe system. It has a 160 amp alternator and borgeson power steering system, with a champion radiator. Etc etc etc.

Good lord it sounds great. I had to share!

I like HEI ingition systems. They often make an improvement in how the engine idles,throttle responce etc. It does sound good!

Thanks for the responses guys! I really appreciate the encouragement. I still have a lot of work to do, but man this was a huge milestone.

I need to mount my new gauges (afr, tach, vacuum) and rerun all my vacuum lines before i can move forward tuning the engine.

We installed the booster and master cylinder last night after this was taken.

Before i tore down the tired engine, i ran it 100 miles with a mix of oil, marvels and tranny fluid to clean it out, with seafoam in the tank. When i replaced the valve stem seals that were toast, and put in a new oil pump, the engine was very very clean inside.

I replaced the timing chain with a summit billt double roller, put on a tensioner, and replaced the harmonic balancer. So as you can expect the timing on it is very tight, and from my testing, very very accurate.

For the break in tuning runs, i am running 10w30 with comp cams zinc break in oil.

I have to put all the pedals back in, bleed the break system and fool around with linkage, before I can get it to the alignment shop.

After that it is just putting my interior back in... and rebuilding my hvac system which is out.

Oh my. The finish line to cruising is near, but damnit it runs. After many ups and down, i will be getting her back soon.

-
Back