Oil Accumulators

-

dukeboy440

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever ran an oil accumulator on their 440? (or other big block)?

We ran one on our SG car many years ago as protection but never had to use it.

I bought one for my R3 small block as I hear they have bad oil drain back issues but I drilled extra holes in the valley. I have a Racepak system on my car so I can monitor it very closely going down the track and never saw an issue so it sits unused on my shelf. Maybe someday one of my build will need it.

I bought one for my R3 small block as I hear they have bad oil drain back issues but I drilled extra holes in the valley. I have a Racepak system on my car so I can monitor it very closely going down the track and never saw an issue so it sits unused on my shelf. Maybe someday one of my build will need it.

I learned a TON logging oil pressure. One of the bigger crimes done to engines is too much oil in the pan. If the pressure starts dropping as you get down the track, the oil is getting whipped into a foam, and that compressed and reduces oil pressure. A crank scraper (a good one) will raise oil pressure, as it helps get oil off the crank and reduces the air in the oil.

Interesting stuff for sure. I’m going to start data logging my street/strip car. You just can’t ignore the data. You get hooked on it...like ******!

I've run one for the past 30 years in my car.
how'd you hook it in and was it fairly straight forward? I'm gonna be road racing this car a lot plus driving in the mountains so I want to make sure it keeps oil pressure

I have it in the trunk right behind the back seat. I use an electric valve on the tank which is wired to my ignition run circuit so the valve is open when the ignition key is on. I run a #10 line up to the back of the engine and then use a #10 to 1/4 NPT fitting to plumb the oil into the back of the block.

I have it in the trunk right behind the back seat. I use an electric valve on the tank which is wired to my ignition run circuit so the valve is open when the ignition key is on. I run a #10 line up to the back of the engine and then use a #10 to 1/4 NPT fitting to plumb the oil into the back of the block.

Bob, were you trying to say something? Your message ended up being blank.

I have a 2 quart system that I need to install. I was planning on installing on the inside of the passenger side fender. The trunk idea is making me rethink. I also plan to plumb into the back of the block. Andrew

I have a 2 quart system that I need to install. I was planning on installing on the inside of the passenger side fender. The trunk idea is making me rethink. I also plan to plumb into the back of the block. Andrew
Curious, where at on the back of the block

there are 2 oil ports on the big block on the back at the top, one side (drivers side) I used for the oil pressure gauge and the other has an npt plug. That is the one that I plan to use. I believe AndyF mentioned the same above. Andrew

Bob, were you trying to say something? Your message ended up being blank.

Yeah , happens that this puter jumps all over the place , w/ only 3 megbps, I`m too fast for it a lot of the time, it changes a lot of stuff too. I even have some stuff added to my folders that I didnt ever save or even read --------? , no viruses either ! It changes a lot of what I type , have to proof read everything!

Yeah , happens that this puter jumps all over the place , w/ only 3 megbps, I`m too fast for it a lot of the time, it changes a lot of stuff too. I even have some stuff added to my folders that I didnt ever save or even read --------? , no viruses either ! It changes a lot of what I type , have to proof read everything!

I just checked my download speed and it is 742 Mbps so that isn't my problem. Guess it just must be my old age that makes me mess up my posts!

there are 2 oil ports on the big block on the back at the top, one side (drivers side) I used for the oil pressure gauge and the other has an npt plug. That is the one that I plan to use. I believe AndyF mentioned the same above. Andrew

Yes a stock block should have a 1/4 NPT pointed toward the passenger side and a 1/8 NPT port pointed towards the driver side. Use the 1/8 NPT port for the oil pressure gauge and then use the 1/4 NPT for the accumulator. It would be better if the factory had put a 3/8 NPT back there but they didn't. The smaller 1/4 NPT works okay when the oil is hot but the blocks fills a little slow when the oil is cold. I don't think it is a problem though, might even be a feature for a street car. When I go to start my car the accumulator gives me oil pressure for about 30 seconds on a cold start. On a hot start the oil pressure only lasts about 5 seconds.

Yes a stock block should have a 1/4 NPT pointed toward the passenger side and a 1/8 NPT port pointed towards the driver side. Use the 1/8 NPT port for the oil pressure gauge and then use the 1/4 NPT for the accumulator. It would be better if the factory had put a 3/8 NPT back there but they didn't. The smaller 1/4 NPT works okay when the oil is hot but the blocks fills a little slow when the oil is cold. I don't think it is a problem though, might even be a feature for a street car. When I go to start my car the accumulator gives me oil pressure for about 30 seconds on a cold start. On a hot start the oil pressure only lasts about 5 seconds.

The roadrunner I mentioned had a manual ball valve on it , he opened it before start up, and closed it when it refilled , dont know about down track protection-------------

-
Back