Oil Additive

-

terry

Reaction score
Does Anyone Bother To Add Any One Of The Million Oil Additives ( I.e Stp,lucas Etc.) On The Market To There Oil Changes? Any Reason Choosing One Over The Other?
Thanks
Terry

Just my opinion, I think theres a place for additives but mostly for high mileage engines with some problems like smoking, oil consumption, et.
If an engine is in good condition a good synthetic oil like Q or Royal Purple(which I use) is all you need. Anthything else is a waste of money!

If I may chime in here,
This exact topic of discussion came up over the holidays at my inlaws house.
My father in law's opinion was that execpt for the extra zinc and phosphorus needed for break in, all the additives you need are already in your oils.
You may say so what, what does your farther in-law's opinion mean to me?
Well he was, for the past thirty years, in charge of Exxon's oil additive program as their lead Phd chemist. He will also tell you to get a tank of chevron and run it through your car or get a bottle of Techron and pour it in yout tank in spite of the product being produced by the compitition.

Just my .02
Andrew

I LIKE THAT ANDREW!! I agree. It took me years to also start using 5w30 motor oil instead of all that 20w50 stuff or additives. We were led to believe that your engine had to have additives. I have been using 5w30 for years now and although I don't drag race I do own a Hemi that I put my foot into at times. It has lasted over 50,000 miles so far with no problems. I also get an honest 24 mpg on the highway at 75 mph. The 3.5 liter V6 engine is only about 3-4 mpg better. I would not own a 2.7 liter V6 with all the problems they have experienced. I would rather have the horsepower of the Hemi for the small sacriface in mileage. You wouldn't believe the how fast this 5.7 liter engine will go from 40 to 80 mph.

never bothered with additives. for years and years I used only castrol gtx 15w40 in everything cars, dirtbikes, lawnmowers, snowblowers, you name it. and only in the last few years I switched to Castrol Syntec 5w40. no problems using either, no matter what I threw at it.
cheers

I have been using the comp cams additive for my flat tappet cam vehicles. as far as any of the other stuff i go by the old " if it ain't broke don't fix it " rule. although i will say that when i first bought the dart the old /6 would smoke so i put some of that restore stuff in it. it didn't completly stop it but really made it less noticeable.

Hi You don't need adatives if you are using the right oil for the right application.flat tappet cams need zink phosphate.Most newer oils don't have enough. They lowerd the zink phosphate content to protect the catalitic converters.The raceing oils still have it and some of the high mileage engine oils do. their is a very good article about it at (classic car motor oil .com)sorry i don't no how to post the link but it is worth reading.

Hi You don't need adatives if you are using the right oil for the right application.flat tappet cams need zink phosphate.Most newer oils don't have enough. They lowerd the zink phosphate content to protect the catalitic converters.The raceing oils still have it and some of the high mileage engine oils do. their is a very good article about it at (classic car motor oil .com)sorry i don't no how to post the link but it is worth reading.
no, you need ZDDP for the initial break-in. once the cam establishes its wear pattern, zinc is not so much an issue.
cheers

no, you need ZDDP for the initial break-in. once the cam establishes its wear pattern, zinc is not so much an issue.
cheers

No disrespect,but that is a great way to wipe out a cam lobe. It is absolutely important to keep oil with ZDP in your flat-tappet cam motor after break in.

You can either use racing oils with ZDP (Lucas,Quaker State,Red Line,Valvoline,Royal Purple,etc) or use your favorite oil with (no ZDP content) and add a bottle of
break in addative (Lucas,Red-Line,Comp Cam,etc) at each oil change.

I use Comp Cams addative.

heres another interesting factoid. twice i've installed cams, no break-in, just started and went. never hurt them. go figure. one was a comp and the other was a ultradyne, both brand new with new lifters. excessive spring pressures on initial starup IMO is what kills 98% of the cams out there. no disrespect taken!
cheers

The other problem I think is that there are no tightly controlled unbiased experiments (that I know of) that absolutely prove that less ZDDP after break-in causes cam failure. For all we know it is the camshaft manufacturers covering their own asses. A PhD in chemistry for an oil company's additive dept is great but are these new oils and their additives rated in regards to our old Mopars? I don't know.

IMO go with the additives on break-in and with oil changes to keep your cam warranty intact.... or use the offroad/racing oils that have the extra ZDDP.

I second the Chevron gas.

heres another interesting factoid. twice i've installed cams, no break-in, just started and went. never hurt them

I can back that statement up my builder laughs everytime someone mentions break-in period,we break in cams by running them not sitting there idling for 20 minutes at so and so rpms..the one in my stroker got broken in on the 1/4 at e-town..just make sure you use a GOOD quality oil and yes change the oil and the filter shortly after running the new motor to get all the assembling lube and any contaminates out..i use 15-40 diesel w half a quart of Lucas oil treatment in my motors and have for awhile now,to each his own..

I can back that statement up my builder laughs everytime someone mentions break-in period,we break in cams by running them not sitting there idling for 20 minutes at so and so rpms..the one in my stroker got broken in on the 1/4 at e-town..just make sure you use a GOOD quality oil and yes change the oil and the filter shortly after running the new motor to get all the assembling lube and any contaminates out..i use 15-40 diesel w half a quart of Lucas oil treatment in my motors and have for awhile now,to each his own..
and somebody will chime in sayin something about how ryan at shady dell said "you must do a proper blah, blah, blah" in 3, 2, 1..... LOL!
cheers

-
Back