Oil canning????

-

inkjunkie

Reaction score
My issue has 0 to do with a car body but it is metal related. Working on my reverse flow smoker. It is based on a 60 gallon air tank compressor. It is built out of 1/8th inch mild steel. I cut the door out of the cylindrical portion of the tank. When I first cut it the door section fit like it should, it followed the curvature of the tank. After welding hinges on the top and a handle towards the bottom....well....it fits like crap. The bottom edge, near where the handle was welded, has a large bow in it. I put some 3 inch pacers under the lower corners and cranked on it with some clamps. Between that and some heat and hammer work the lower edge was "close enough", considering a gasket/clamps will be used. Had a problem with the hinges on the top. Cut them off, welded on another set. The bow returned. What do I gotta do to get it straight again??

Can you post some pics? Is the problem warping or alignment?

Warping. It is clamped down right now, will go out and release it in a couple of hours....

The alignment of it is off.....but is from the warping. I am planning on making a RTV gasket for it so if it does not sit completely flush/square will not be a problem...

Had it clamped down for a while, released it and it was still straight. Checked on it later on and the bow had returned. Was not as bad as it was...

Attachments

• 20150725_191918.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 122
I would clamp it heat it up and quench it with wet rag and try to shrink the metal to take the bow out.

Had it clamped down for a while, released it and it was still straight. Checked on it later on and the bow had returned. Was not as bad as it was...

Did you clamp that down while you were welding? Maybe clamp it down, heat it up and the release the clamp after it cools down....

I would clamp it heat it up and quench it with wet rag and try to shrink the metal to take the bow out.
Thanks

Did you clamp that down while you were welding? Maybe clamp it down, heat it up and the release the clamp after it cools down....

Was not clamped down while welding on it. Was hoping to weld some exhaust tube on the lower corners to shield the thermometers I want to install but that ain't gonna happen now. Will put the thermometers on the body of the smoker.

Have a neighbor that does bodywork, may just go visit Mike and let him try to get it straighter.

-
Back