oil drain plug

-

dbs1473

73 Swinger
Reaction score
Alright guys come on with the jokes, but I can't seem to locate the oil drain plug on my '73 Dart, 318, where the hell is it! Also, I bought Quakerstate Defy 10W-30 high mileage oil, should I also add a Zinc additive or should what is in the oil be enough.

Oh boy ! #-o get some carb cleaner and a rag and find it under the grit... :coffee2:

Some are on the bottom side,but most small blocks(273-360) will be at the rear bottom center of the pan.If the factory plug has never been changed to a aftermarket plug you will need a 7/8'' wrench to remove it.

scary that it might be so nasty under there that the drain plug is hidden... it's to the back of the pan - there'll be no mistaking it when you find it - if the grime is that bad, you'll need something to scrape the schmegma off of there..

Alright guys come on with the jokes, but I can't seem to locate the oil drain plug on my '73 Dart, 318, where the hell is it! Also, I bought Quakerstate Defy 10W-30 high mileage oil, should I also add a Zinc additive or should what is in the oil be enough.

I hope you find your drain plug. It's there somewhere. The Quaker state Defy is highly rated by it's users. I can't find how much zinc it has but it is advertised as having some in it on purpose. It also has seal swell chemicals to help stop oil leaks. That's not a fix for bad gaskets or cracked crank seals. I think you should be ok with it.

I thought Quaker State DEFY was a great name to stab back at the establishment that wants to outlaw and crush old cars.It should be fine for your 318.

Also if it's been that long since the oils been changed that you can't even find the plug anymore just about any oil you put in there that's clean it's going to be a vast Improvement.

Im not sure where this oil pan came from but the drain plug was damn near beneath the oil filter, but I found it. I still have a tick in my left bank but it is not permeating through the exhaust any longer so i figure an hour or so of the motor running with the oil circulating that tick should go away. I checked all the rockers and springs replacing the valve gasket and nothing seemed off, out of sink, or soft. The oil was still brown, no orange goo or black gunk in the valve train. I think the motor is simply acting like a 43 year old motor. Thanks for all the help guys!

Here is a weird truck pan, plug in back..would not find it unless you were looking back there.
s-l225.jpg

I am dumb but I ain't stupid:) I do know the difference between the two

-
Back