Oil Filter Adapter Gasket Question

-

WSUTARD

Reaction score
Which should I use for the outer bolt to adapter gasket. The copper one or the one that came with the mopar kit? My other copper one was leaking badly.
image.jpg

thick one goes on the inside of the adapter the thin one goes on the outside

thick one goes on the inside of the adapter the thin one goes on the outside
I get what you are saying, the thick cork one goes on the inside. The question I am asking is should I use the copper one or the stock one for the outside seal?

I have always used the paper gaskets and have never seen a copper one for it. I also use Indian Head gasket sealer at the block and let it sit over night. I have never had a leak.

I think the only way I'd use a copper gasket on the outside would be if it had grooves like a caliper bolt washer has. I don't seal how a flat washer could seal, especially under pressure.

I didn't get the responses in time but here is what happened. Tried the copper first, didn't work because it was too thick. The Mopar provided one worked great. I should have stuck with that one.

The reason I had the copper in the first place was my mechanic had addressed this issue prior and used the copper ones. It wasnt leaking prior to me pulling the engine so I figured I would give it a go.

My adapter has no gaskets and no leaks. When i rebuilt the motor i used a new old stock bolt with no gasket and still no leaks. Never seen a gasket on any of my small blocks.

-
Back