Oil Filter problem

-

whitey

Reaction score
I have a 73 Swinger with a 360/727 and TTI headers. I'm having a difficult time getting the oil filter off, VERY hard to turn. Has anyone else encountered this problem? Has anyone else used the 90* adapter?

I think a lot of guys who run headers on a mopar small block use the right angle oil filter adapter. Are you trying to remove it, or are you just having a hard time removing the oil filter from it?

This happens when the seal isn't lubricated enough when its installed. If you get the "cap wrench" that goes on the end of the filter you can use a ratchet to get it off, which typically works the best.

I'm trying to remove the filter...
I don't think the cap will work now. I tried using the pliers and it crushed the filter, I even tried using a long screwdriver and pierced it. Guess I gotta take the header off and push it forward to get more room.

i don't run the 90* adapter and never had a problem with getting the filter off with my tti's. i can get the filter wrench on it from the top.

i use a wrench like this one.

6178644.jpg

The best way to unstick one is to use a long (and sharp) screwdriver as a chisel on the lip on the end of the filter. Mash a small groove in the lip and then change your angle and spin it off. And don't smash you hand with the hammer.
It is like chiseling a rounded nut off. It may take 2 or 3 trys.

When I would tighten the collector to my TTI H-pipe it would pull the header up slightly and bind the oil filter in and prevent it from turning. I had to loosen my header and collector bolts to get the filter on and off. After that I went with a 90 degree adapter. You'll have plenty of people on here who will tell you you don't need a 90 degree adapter with TTI headers but I needed one.

When I would tighten the collector to my TTI H-pipe it would pull the header up slightly and bind the oil filter in and prevent it from turning. I had to loosen my header and collector bolts to get the filter on and off. After that I went with a 90 degree adapter. You'll have plenty of people on here who will tell you you don't need a 90 degree adapter with TTI headers but I needed one.
I know I could use one. It's a real pain to get the oil filter on and off.

I use sand paper. wrap it around the filter and turn it as hard as you can. been doing all my oil changes like that for years. Works good and is easy when you can not get a tool into get a hold of it.

I've got a oil filter tool that is simply a loop of seatbelt like strap on a stick of 1/2 " X 6" square tubing. It will absolutely destroy a filter but it has never failed to remove one of any size or from any application. I call it a strap wrench, doubt thats correct title. Came from Mac or SnapOn , I forget.

I know I could use one. It's a real pain to get the oil filter on and off.
I would like to see a pic of these engines without 90 adapter, and tti`s. please... And Whitey, That wrench you bent is still the best in tight places, but they need modifyed. I used a piece of 3/8 by 3/4" flat stock. To put a real handel on it. My pic resizer function dissapeared, or I`d show it.

i don't run the 90* adapter and never had a problem with getting the filter off with my tti's. i can get the filter wrench on it from the top.

i use a wrench like this one.

6178644.jpg

I picked a wrench up to replace the one that bent, like joe mentioned here. This one doesn't have the rubber on the inside of the band, but little "nubbies" to grip the filter. It was thin aenough to get closer to the base of the filter and with my arm through the header tubes, was able to get it off.

Thanks guys

I had to use the chisel method on my Wife's old Firebird once. I put a remote oil filter on the Kid's Dart when we installed the TTI's. Makes oil changes way easier.

I used to be an industrial equipment mechanic,fork lifts mostly.One of the old mechanics turned me onto using a large pair of chanel lock pliers.I can get 98% of all filters off with it.Sometimes you can only get a hold of one with the tips of the pliers on the end of the filter,but that's always been enough for me.I did many hundreds of oil filter removals that way

I don't know if this could be your problem or not but make sure you use the short filter instead of the long one. No adaptor needed with TTIs.

I was running the short filter and it would not come off unless I loosened the header.

I had a hard time getting at it with my TTIs and not much room to turn the wrench but the short filter clears fine on my barracuda now if only someone could tell me how to keep the oil in the filter from spilling all over the headers when I pull it out man what a mess and people think I'm James Bond for 50 miles on the highway when I burn it off :-D

-
Back