Oil filters in 1972

-

SkyBlueScampy

Reaction score
I have a '72 Scamp with the 225. Trying to restore it to as close to original as possible (and within my budget). Does anybody have a picture, preferably in colour, of what oil filter came from the factory? Or even what the Chrysler service replacements looked like? Not sure if this makes any difference, but mine was built in Canada. For extra bonus points, does anyone know if anyone sells some that are fairly close to original.

I wanna say that they were white with red and blue print, but I'm not sure...

I believe this is a pic of what you are looking for.

5197210-1972OEMMoparFilter-1.JPG

I changed a bunch of filters back in those days ... I think 68 has it right ... they were all in Chevron colors when they left ... :rofl:

I changed a bunch of filters back in those days ... I think 68 has it right ... they were all in Chevron colors when they left ... :rofl:
Good stuff here. However, looking at 68original's photo, I do not remember the word MOPAR being used in Canada prior to the 80s. If I remember correctly, parts for Chrysler products were labelled CHRYCO up here. So I did a Wiki search and indeed, they say that MOPAR started being used only in the late 70s in Canada. I found this picture on the web that shows a similar filter that is probably closer to what was used in Canada. These are being reproduced, but are horribly expensive.

1851658-1.jpg

You may be correct on the "MOPAR" thing, I did not catch the fact that this was Canada, not USA.
However, the filter in your pic stopped in 1971, according to information I have, and switched to the white with blue and red.
Anybody else have more details? Don't want to mislead anyone here!

"CHRYCO" and "AUTOPAR" were the Canadian names at that time, but there were also "CHRYSLER PARTS" items in the US, Canada, and abroad.

$_57.jpg

$_57.jpg

Last edited:
-
Back