Oil from Manifold?

-

sl6- dust74

Reaction score
Hello All. Need some input please. Had a 74 gold duster with a slant 6 in it sitting for an year. Changed oil and took it for a ride and noticed some oil sprayed out from the rear exaust and white smoke on idle. Also noticed oil leaking from the Manifold i guess or the head? Does it sound like a head gasket issue? Any input here will be helpful before i open up the head. Thank you

Screenshot_20230822_222017_Photos~2.jpg

Definetely. Thank you. As I did eye ball the edges of the valve cover, there is no leak. But there is oil for sure from where the gasket sits on the block.

Screenshot_20230823_121707_Photos~2.jpg

I believe this is a common problem but it's been years since I looked it up. I believe Doug Dutra has a write up on it on slantsix.org if it is in fact the annoying leak from the front of the head issue.

I've never seen that one before...if it's an original engine that hasn't been apart then it has a steel shim head gasket that could theoretically rot out and leak. Might want to brake clean it off and then carefully watch it while someone runs the engine about 2500 rpm. Watch the fan!

-
Back