oil leak from eddy intake

-

duster731

young gun
Reaction score
I have a fresh 318 with and eddy performer and when I assembled it I used the metal gaskets. Besides that its been about 500 miles since rebuilt and no problems till last night. I was changing a thermostat out and when I was warming up the engine there was oil coming out of the second to the last intake bolt on the drivers side where it meets with the head and the intake valley filled up with oil. Any ideas thanks for reading

Will red rtv gaskets maker work and should I replace gaskets or just take the bolts out and don't remove the intake

Where is the intake leaking ?

If it from a bolt hole get some Permatex thread sealer. This stuff works great for sealing threaded areas.

If it is coming from the front or back of the intake,or the water passages,then yes,use
RTV. Most people dont use the front and back gaskets for the intake. Just a nice1/8" to 1/4" bead of RTV,front and back. Then a nice bead of RTV around the water passeges on the intake gasket,and your good to go.

just do 1 intake bolt at a time. I had the same thing happen and I have a weiland intake. it's very common for 318's on any intake apparently

It's leaking from the bolt hole so when doing one at a time would I put the bolt back in and torque it to 35 or snug it till I finish all of them then torque all the same time. Thanks for your help everyone

It's leaking from the bolt hole so when doing one at a time would I put the bolt back in and torque it to 35 or snug it till I finish all of them then torque all the same time. Thanks for your help everyone

Snug it and then torque it to Edelbrocks specs.

What part of SoCal you in ?

Thanks ill go ahead and try thus tonight and let you guys know and I'm in riverside how about you

I had the same problem but have not fixed it yet. All of the guys here told me the same thing. Very common on a 318. Are the middle bolts the only ones that will leak?B

update... i took the bolt out were i thought the leak was, and applied threadlocker on the bolt and torqued it back down. i started the car to let it warm up and around 170 degrees the puddle started to form. i looked closely and noticed it was coming out of a horseshoe looking hole on the head. it created a puddle on the side of the head were it met the intake.

backstory... since i rebuilt the engine (around 500 miles or so ago), the engine ran about 160 degrees and under. last night i found that i had a faulty thermostat so i replaced it. i started the duster to warm it up and as soon as the temp hit around 170 degrees it started to leak once again. to remind you the engine ran cold and has never reached to more than 160. thanks again for all your help. :banghead:
fedf.jpg

tj.jpg

yu.jpg

warped intake manifold ? did you buy the intake new or used ?

i'm in murrieta ...

update... i took the bolt out were i thought the leak was, and applied threadlocker on the bolt and torqued it back down. i started the car to let it warm up and around 170 degrees the puddle started to form. i looked closely and noticed it was coming out of a horseshoe looking hole on the head. it created a puddle on the side of the head were it met the intake.

backstory... since i rebuilt the engine (around 500 miles or so ago), the engine ran about 160 degrees and under. last night i found that i had a faulty thermostat so i replaced it. i started the duster to warm it up and as soon as the temp hit around 170 degrees it started to leak once again. to remind you the engine ran cold and has never reached to more than 160. thanks again for all your help. :banghead:
bbb555.jpg

asasas.jpg

aqaqwwsa.jpg

Did you install the intake ?
Reason I as is I am wondering if a bead of RTV was put around the water holes of the heads,befrore the intake was installed ?
Either way,it looks like the intake needs to be re-installed.

Intake was brand new out of the box and I did install it and didn't use rtv on the side gaskets I left the metal gaskets dry so which gaskets would work and should I also get a valley pan gasket

Intake was brand new out of the box and I did install it and didn't use rtv on the side gaskets I left the metal gaskets dry so which gaskets would work and should I also get a valley pan gasket

Fel-pro 1213 manifold gasket.
Comes with heat cross over block off,and Printoseal around the ports.
These are $20.00 at Summit. Seem to work very well.

I like to Edelbrock GaskaSinch (sp?) the gasket to the heads,and let dry.
Put RTV around the water jackets and a healthy amount on each end. Let the RTV set-up for a bit.
Carefully place intake manifold.
Permotex thread seal any bolts that need to be sealed and cinch them down.
Let RTV set-up a bit again before torquing.
Slowly torque to manufacturer's specs.
Let dry overnight.
Should be good to go.
Re-torque after you run it,and engine is cool.

Attachments

• Picture 271.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 187
So with those gaskets there's no need for sealent around the ports and would you leave those gaskets dry? Sorry for the stupid questions I just want to make sure its done the first time and not to worry about it

So with those gaskets there's no need for sealent around the ports and would you leave those gaskets dry? Sorry for the stupid questions I just want to make sure its done the first time and not to worry about it

I use rtv around the 4 water holes. Thats it.

You have a few minor things that will be cured with a better gasket. As for the blots, I use liquid teflon sealer on them. No seaps or leaks there for years.

Thanks to johnny dart for helping me as well with ever one else I ordered up the printoseal fel pro gaskets from summit and should be getting them today so I am going to replace the gaskets tomorrow and let you guys know what happens

I put a very thin film of RTV around the water passage areas, both sides of the gasket, but no sealer around the ports.

It's an Eddy, crap machining. That's why their gaskets are thick. Permatex the 4 water, rtv the hell out of the rest. I will never buy another one, as this is 4 times, same problem.

Good news it is now fixed I also had water leaking into my oil from the rear of the metal gaskets so my oil was like chocolate milk it scared me for a minute so I did an oil change and new intake and valve cover gaskets now I'm back on the road thanks everyone for your help

-
Back