Oil Pressure AN Hose

-

SharpDart71

Reaction score
I'm looking to replace my copper oil pressure line to AN hose and was wondering if anyone could help with the fitting and hose sizes? Going to a Sunpro gauge.

Thanks

I'm looking to replace my copper oil pressure line to AN hose and was wondering if anyone could help with the fitting and hose sizes? Going to a Sunpro gauge.

Thanks
If you are going to use an line you may also have to use a gauge snubber as well to dampen the pressure spikes. Those 1/8 copper lines really help dampen the pulsations to the gauge. Almost any an line is going to increase the diameter and the volume of oil that reaches the gauge which will really let you see what your pressure is doing because the extra volume will increase the gauge response.
Having said that I would use the smallest size an line you can get which I would think is 3an. Auto meter also sells snubbers to dampen the gauge spikes to the gauge. You can buy adjustable ones too.

I think I'd use -3 PTFE brake hose for this. Made to work on brake systems with a lot more PSI than your oil pressure.

Take a good look at the back of your gauge, there may not be a fitting available to convert it over.

If you are going to use an line you may also have to use a gauge snubber as well to dampen the pressure spikes. Those 1/8 copper lines really help dampen the pulsations to the gauge. Almost any an line is going to increase the diameter and the volume of oil that reaches the gauge which will really let you see what your pressure is doing because the extra volume will increase the gauge response.
Having said that I would use the smallest size an line you can get which I would think is 3an. Auto meter also sells snubbers to dampen the gauge spikes to the gauge. You can buy adjustable ones too.

What is this snubber? I find them for fuel pressure gauges but I don't see them for oil pressure.

I'm having an issue with the gauge "fluttering" for lack of a better term at certain RPMs. Is it possible this is because the number 4 hose makes it flutter?

What is this snubber? I find them for fuel pressure gauges but I don't see them for oil pressure.

I'm having an issue with the gauge "fluttering" for lack of a better term at certain RPMs. Is it possible this is because the number 4 hose makes it flutter?
Air in the line. Too much volume.

I have the same problem with the oil pressure gauge on my diesel truck. I have a 200psi oil pressure gauge on the transmission.
I plumbed it with an4 braided line. The pressure usually is around 100psi with the engine revving and 130 on the highway.
But the gauge is very erratic. I called auto meter about the problem and they gave me a part number for a restrictor which really is a nitrous jet to dampen the gauge. It helped a great deal but was still not totally steady. It was explained to me that the reason most pressure gauges are supplied with a 1/8 line is to dampen and protect the gauge. As the other poster has said the problem is too much volume, but as I read on one of David Rehers articles those larger lines let you see exactly what your pressure really is doing.

I have the same problem with the oil pressure gauge on my diesel truck. I have a 200psi oil pressure gauge on the transmission.
I plumbed it with an4 braided line. The pressure usually is around 100psi with the engine revving and 130 on the highway.
But the gauge is very erratic. I called auto meter about the problem and they gave me a part number for a restrictor which really is a nitrous jet to dampen the gauge. It helped a great deal but was still not totally steady. It was explained to me that the reason most pressure gauges are supplied with a 1/8 line is to dampen and protect the gauge. As the other poster has said the problem is too much volume, but as I read on one of David Rehers articles those larger lines let you see exactly what your pressure really is doing.

Thanks. I need to call Autometer and talk to them. That is driving me nuts is is causing me to question things I wouldn't normally think to question.

I bought a nice kit from Jegs. My Auto Meter gauge is steady. I'm glad i did it. I've seen copper lines fail at the fitting on the engine. Plastic lines supposedly fail too, although it's never happened to me. I heard too many stories, so, I went braided. Kit comes with adapters.

-
Back