Oil Pressure Drop

-

moparspares

Reaction score
What can you expect your oil pressure to drop to between hot and cold. On Idle on my brand new 408 I get between 60 -70 psi and after idling for 10 minutes at idle it drops to just under 40 PSI but with a small rev back up to 60. I haven't driven the car yet so I dont know weather I will get a further drop. Is this fine or I am being paranoid

What can you expect your oil pressure to drop to between hot and cold. On Idle on my brand new 408 I get between 60 -70 psi and after idling for 10 minutes at idle it drops to just under 40 PSI but with a small rev back up to 60. I haven't driven the car yet so I dont know weather I will get a further drop. Is this fine or I am being paranoid
ur fine, mine drops more than that !

your fine, my 408 runs 40 at idle and 65 when the revs come up. 40 is a good pressure for idle.

Well you have two opinions already and I have to agree with them both, but add a bit.
Depending on the oil viscosity it can vary a lot more than yours does, but yours is completely normal for normal weights of oil that most people use.
My 318 had 80 at cold idle until it got up to about 160 and then started dropping as the temp went up.
At the 190 full running temp it would idle at about 45 psi and I was very satisfied with that using 20/50 in the summer.
Now that I am running a mid 90's Magnum I use full synthetic 5/30 and it never goes over 60psi no matter what (it must be the bypass spring) because it doesn't matter what oil, weight or temp and I have about 40psi at 190 idling at 800.

Bottom line is your pressures are perfect IMO.

-
Back