oil pressure relief valve location 68 Barracuda

-
Reaction score
Hello,

1968 Plymouth Barracuda 5.2L 318 V8

Where is the Oil Pressure Relief valve located on my motor?

I have a feeling it may be some of the cause of my high oil pressure problems...
I had a oil filter gasket blow out that resulted in a small engine fire (oil sprayed on manifold... luckily in the driveway once I put it in gear)

Thanks for you time and help

inside the oil pump...which is inside the oil pan

I'm aware of where the Oil pump is located. LOL Thanks
I was Unaware of the Oil Pressure Relief valve.
Looks like the New Pump comes with one already installed so I'm good to go.

I'm new to motor repair so THANKS FOR YOUR HELP EVERYBODY!

Hello,

1968 Plymouth Barracuda 5.2L 318 V8

Where is the Oil Pressure Relief valve located on my motor?

I have a feeling it may be some of the cause of my high oil pressure problems...
I had a oil filter gasket blow out that resulted in a small engine fire (oil sprayed on manifold... luckily in the driveway once I put it in gear)

Thanks for you time and help

Ok, looking back at this original post, it looks like the pump in the engine is putting out too much pressure. :evil3:

You should figure out why, or you will just be repeating the same thing again. #-o

Look at the old pressure relief valve and see if it's stuck. If it is stuck, you need to figure out why and what caused it. If you don't fix that, then you may have to put another pump on again. :???:

Are any oil passages blocked or restricted or have dirt/debris in them?

If you don't find the root cause of your problem, it won't go away... :banghead:

Could the fact that its a original 68' oil pump/relief valve have anything to do with it?
The car sat for 10+ years as well.
I'm running a oil treatment through it before I do the Oil Pump change out, hopefully that will break some crud free

Could the fact that its a original 68' oil pump/relief valve have anything to do with it?
The car sat for 10+ years as well.
I'm running a oil treatment through it before I do the Oil Pump change out, hopefully that will break some crud free

Possibly. Look around while you have it open for anything that doesn't seem right.

Maybe the relief valve could be sticking a little bit, try running a quart of trans fluid in it for a while, then drain it. Trans fluid is basically thin high detergent oil that may help clean off some of the "sticky" that may have started from sitting...

If you have enough pressure to blow out an oil filter case, then you need to get that under control before it takes out the whole engine....

hey he said a filter gasket blew, not a filter case. a leak at the gasket may be the filter not tight enough. do you have an oil pressure gauge? when I fire up my 340 for the past 21 years the old 80psi gauge is pegged for a few minutes without blowing the hp1 filter

yes, could just have been a loose filter. having said its an original 68 318 pump, ill rule out someone installing a high volume pump. I have had those create a lot of pressure with heavy oil. What weight oil are you running? I see you added oil treatment, some of that stuff is very heavy and could create a problem. you really need a pressure gauge to tell if you have a problem

You didnt mention what oil viscosity this happened with. Also some oilfilters have crappy gasket retainers. No thats not quite right. Some oilfilters have a crappy designed gasket retainer in that the gasket barely gets compressed before the retainer bottoms out on the plate. So in essence the rubber seal is too thin.
I hope you didnt lube the gasket with anything but dyno oil

Oil was 10-40
Oil Filter was a basic FRAM filter, Ring Oiled and installed correctly

I'm tackling the Oil Pump change over this weekend If I get time, I'll update if it fixes the problems

Oil was 10-40
Oil Filter was a basic FRAM filter, Ring Oiled and installed correctly

I'm tackling the Oil Pump change over this weekend If I get time, I'll update if it fixes the problems

Look inside your Fram filter and see of the inside guts are blown out. I've had that happen to me and don't run Fram any more...

You can see pieces of paper/cardboard/rubber band through them when you look from the bottom of a blown out filter...

....Have u at least did an oil pressure check to verify that u actually do have a high oil pressure problem...........as stated fram r junk...................kim......

-
Back