Oil pressure sending unit question.

-

MoparMike_87

"Sh'Dynasty. That's S H comma-to-the-top Dynasty."
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am building a 1969 383 and went to prime you'll system when I noticed two fountains shoot our from the rear of my block. I have recently learned that one of those holes are meant for an oil sending unit, however I am writing to you all for help on what is intended for the other hole on the back next to the oil sending unit?

Thanks to you all and your very much appreciated help!

Mike

Do you have any pictures of the holes in question that you can post?

I have a low pressure shut of switch in mine just to be safe.

This is the ports I was using.
http://www.440source.com/bellearly.jpg
My oil pressure fell off to zero, neither port has any flow or pressure?
66 383, I don't really know Mopar engine specifics, the research I've done led me to possibly a spun cam bearing? The engine has less than 5K since rebuild? Help?

welcome to the Mopar guyser, You have been baptized into the Mopar family.....sender and mechanical gauge...or turbo oil feed ;-)

My oil pressure fell off to zero, neither port has any flow or pressure?
66 383, I don't really know Mopar engine specifics, the research I've done led me to possibly a spun cam bearing? The engine has less than 5K since rebuild? Help?

Sorry to hear,

I would suspect the oil pump drive, or oil pump..

Try taking the oil filter off,, and with a cloth draped over the exposed oil filter fitting, with a catch pan underneath, give the starter a momentary spin, see how much oil, if any, pukes into the pan, - no oil, - suspect pump or drive, if lotsa oil,, check for plugged filter, as rare as that is.

Was it running good when this happened , or possibly a missfire?

If you were doing high RPM stuff, it's not uncommon for a lifter to pop out of its bore, if a pushrod bent or "popped" thru a stamped steel rocker.

EDIT I should have mentioned disconnecting the coil wire, before cranking, to prevent a big mess were the engine to start.

I'm sure others will chime in..

I use the driver's side plug for the large bell shaped aftermarket Auto meter electric oil pressure sending unit and the passenger side gallery port for the stock oil pressure sending unit for the dash light.

-
Back