Oil pump drive question after a distributor less conversion

-
The oil pump gear is driving the distributor...not the other way around.

Oil pump is driven by the cam gear.

The oil pump gear is driving the distributor...not the other way around.

Oil pump is driven by the cam gear.
I kind of knew that but I was told that there was something that a Jeep had that was a drop in to take place of the distributor but I wasn't sure what he was talking about

I kind of knew that but I was told that there was something that a Jeep had that was a drop in to take place of the distributor but I wasn't sure what he was talking about

Oh I see like a false distributor, or like a cap? Not sure on that...but you could make one from an old distributor, I suppose.

Yeah, I guess just leave the distributor in as a "dummy". What exactly are you hooking up?

Yeah, all of the replies are what I've been thinking but haven't really figured it out yet. If I was running a EFI then I could use something to run for a cam sensor in place of the distributor. But I am doing an EDIS with carburation

Yeah, I guess just leave the distributor in as a "dummy". What exactly are you hooking up?
I'm doing away with my distributor and running a crank trigger and an EDIS-8 module in coils and a megajolt programmable controller something different for me then an electronic or points distributor that I'm using now

I see , yeah a position sensor is expensive as an unused "dummy"

Make one from an old distributor I guess...

Distributor Plug, RB and Hemi | AR Engineering

This is for big block. I “think” this is what you’re asking for. If a small block I thought the later magnums that used distributor-less systems had something similar but that’s going back a ways for me. Maybe contact AR engineering.

Distributor Plug, RB and Hemi | AR Engineering

This is for big block. I “think” this is what you’re asking for. If a small block I thought the later magnums that used distributor-less systems had something similar but that’s going back a ways for me. Maybe contact AR engineering.
thanks. It is a big block stroker with a blower that should work fine

"In theory" the gear helix thrusts it down into the block. I don't know if that is for sure a great idea, but the distributors are not particularly made for "upward" thrust

if I was running EFI or independent coil to plug I would probably need that cam sensor. At this point I just need to be able to plug the hole and run the oil pump

Really the only two choices are the cam sensor and AndyF’s (ar engineering) plug. Both are around ~60 bucks. You don’t have to use the sensor. The cam sensor from a later model jeep can be had from the junkyard for cheap.

Last edited:
I mis spoke. The cam sensor is for a 4.0 jeep. And SD concepts used to make an adapter. It’s not a magnum sensor.

The procedure for adjusting the drive gear is to rotate it opposite direction. The gear rises and drops a tooth off from where it was.

I personally would want the correct part or a suitable substitute.

To be sure it is held in place correctly

-
Back