Oil pump question on my future motor

-
Thanks for the reply's guys, I've been out of touch with the hobby(or should I say addiction) for the past few years, and for some reason (no idea why) I thought it was a bigger HP loss....I can handle a 4 HP loss for a little more oil....unless it runs 10.001....then I'll be mad, LOL.

statement that alway comes out in these threads.
HV pump will suck the stock oil pan dry!!!!
This is true but a simple acceleration baffle in the pan will fix that.
HV pump rob lots of HP.
I have found that 20/50 oil over a 10/30 will rob more HP then if it is a HV or standard pump. (i like to run my engs cool, which adds to the problem using thick oil.)
The pick up tube is the first restriction for sure, but most aftermarket pick up tubes are the thin wall design. these days.
If your going to rev it!!! thin wall or custom pick up tube and HV oil pump is only the beginning to stop oil bearing starvation.

Most stroker will not rev past 6500 rpm.......I choose thin wall pick up tube HV oil pump and most of the oil mod...............and i shift at 5800 rpm. I call it insurance. Not a guarantee!!!!

If you spin that motor, run heavy oil and use a hv pump you may want to consider using a hd intermediate shaft... good insurance.

My 388 sbm has a hv pump but I may just run a std. M72 with a high pressure spring. The PO ran 20-50 or a straight 30 oil...I'll likely use 10-30... not positive until I start to reassemble the engine.

I don't care what pump all youse guys run.

Not knocking any author but most guys who pen these "how to" books are not experts as they simply compile the info they get from doing interviews with guys in the business. Often they will get differing opinions on one subject (like oiling systems) and pick the one they think is correct.

I have a friend who has authored dozens of books about collector cars, maintenence on them and such and he can barely change his own oil. Yet he is considered an expert and has sold thousands of books.
I also have the stroker small block book mentioned.
The author is a Chrysler engineer. That book introduced a very good oiling crossover mod( not to be confused with the old one for #4 main bearing) that I have never seen anywhere else.
A very good book by an expert on Chrysler small blocks with an emphasis on strokers.

I also have the stroker small block book mentioned.
The author is a Chrysler engineer. That book introduced a very good oiling crossover mod( not to be confused with the old one for #4 main bearing) that I have never seen anywhere else.
A very good book by an expert on Chrysler small blocks with an emphasis on strokers.

Hey Duane how you doing.

The mod for the full time oiling of the rockers it should be mentioned not to do it if your running stamp steel rockers.

Can you explain why.

You don't need as much volume as adjustable rockers. There is only the 1 hole on the bottom of the shaft and there is less control of the oil at high rpm because the rocker does not enclose the shaft.

You don't need as much volume as adjustable rockers. There is only the 1 hole on the bottom of the shaft and there is less control of the oil at high rpm because the rocker does not enclose the shaft.
That makes sense. I would only add that the stroker small block book is based on what is needed for a performance build. I would assume that there is an assumption that a performance build would not be using stamped steel rockers and would need the constant oiling.
Also the extra oiling up top is not only for the rockers, but to cool the valve springs. Imho

One thing only lightly mentioned I think in one post was bearing clearances and I feel that's possibly the biggest reason to run a std vs hv pump. Since your building a race engine I'd suspect your running pretty loose clearances and in that case I vote use the HV pump with the aforementioned aftermarket thin wall pickup. On another note, if it's a stocker or even HP street/strip engine with tight'ish bearing clearances a std volume is all you need. JMHO

-
Back