Oil question

-

kingvern

Reaction score
So I have a 440 BB with roller cam.
I have never run a roller cam before so I’m wondering what the best oil for that would be. Someone told me not to run anything with zinc in it. Not sure I buy that.

Get the most expensive oil you can buy, and then send me 50 bucks as well so it really costs a lot.

Just kidding :D

Any good oil in the 10-30 to 20-50 range will be just fine.
Valvoline Racing
Castrol GTX

Either of these are good.

A roller cam engine is less picky than a flattappet (performance) engine.
'Main concern' with a roller is that there's enough oil getting into the rollers.

I would base the chosen oilweight on oilpressure hot & cold.
Depending on engine wear and bearing clearances I would start with a 10w30 or 40 oil.

Buy best I didn’t mean most expensive I always ran VR1 before. just not sure on what works best for roller cam

I don't know, I just have kind of an issue running synthetic in a motor that wasn't designed/machined for it.
My Magnum I run synthetic because it was designed for it.
For older design motors I really trust and like the two I posted.

Also obviously one has to be mindful of the fact that synthetic can cause or increase oil leaks as well.

I've learned a good working pcv system will take care of most of the small leaks.
The mid '80s 318 in my Dart loved the synthetic 0w20 oil I fed it. But it was a roller cammed engine I found out recently.
I would have no issues running synthetic oil in an older engine. It's simply a better oil.

A roller cam engine is less picky than a flattappet (performance) engine.
'Main concern' with a roller is that there's enough oil getting into the rollers.

I would base the chosen oilweight on oilpressure hot & cold.
Depending on engine wear and bearing clearances I would start with a 10w30 or 40 oil.

This is true I believe also, as thinner oils can flow better volume and even carry heat of the engine parts.
I have posted before about this, where maxing out the gauge with pressure isn't always the best thing to go by.
Almost maxing the guage with thinner oil is better all the way around, for cooling and oil volume both.

I've learned a good working pcv system will take care of most of the small leaks.
The mid '80s 318 in my Dart loved the synthetic 0w20 oil I fed it. But it was a roller cammed engine I found out recently.
I would have no issues running synthetic oil in an older engine. It's simply a better oil.

Totally agree on the PCV system, and I really don't know what my deal is about older motors and synthetic.
It doesn't really make sense, but I can't seem to get away from that.:D
Especially since there are some darn good choices in dyno oils

Interesting, I chatted with a GM Master Tech the other day about what oil to run in my son's VVT Malibu. He said old school Dino oil lubricates better than the Dexos (synthetic) that GM recommends. With a roller cam I would just use regular Valvoline or whatever standard oil you like to use.

Interesting, I chatted with a GM Master Tech the other day about what oil to run in my son's VVT Malibu. He said old school Dino oil lubricates better than the Dexos (synthetic) that GM recommends. With a roller cam I would just use regular Valvoline or whatever standard oil you like to use.[/QUOTEMany of the new engines need thin oil to keep the Valve timing and other components lubricated. I remember stopping by the Ford dealers on my tool route and hearing the advisors cussing about the old guys that would run 10/40 Dino in their VVT 5.4 engines and mess up the mechanisms. The customer thought warranty should cover the damage. Synthetics were designed for that purpose and are not really needed in a older engine.

-
Back